Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will my buying habits never stop? HDTV?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pmkelly, Jul 25, 2004.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Never wanting to be the last one with the cool toys.... I went to a local super electronics store that shall remain nameless (and to protect the innocent) that was having a stupid sale today... after months af research and a couple hours wandering the store, I pulled the trigger on this monster...
    [​IMG]

51" HDTV Monitor, with bunches of bells and whistles.... Hitachi seems to be one of the better ones on the market, and I also read that Hitachi manufactures some of the parts for the Mitsubishis and Toshibas.... here are all the stats!
    http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/projection/16-9digital_mon/51F500.shtml

it gets delivered on Friday!

P@

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sweet! Yeah Hitachi has a good reputation among rear projection HD monitors. They also have a history of needing fewer repairs and having fewer major problems than Mistubishi, Toshiba, Philips and RCA. I'd love to have one but can't afford it these days. I may end up getting an HD projector at some point. My friend just got one of those and the picture is like 8 feet wide or something crazy. It's very sharp too..and very unobtrusive with a pull-down screen. You do have surround sound right? If not then run out immediately and buy a decent setup. I just replaced all my surround sound speakers (Except for my Dayton Audio subwoofer) with JBL's. Sounds awesome.

brad cook

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I already have the sourround sound.... I just want to upgrade all the cables to Monster and I should be set! PS2 is gonna rock on this thing!

P@

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Don't waste your money man...fer real. Monster is overpriced. There are cheaper options out there that offer the same performance as Monster. I just wired my rears in-wall with some in-wall speaker wire from The Home Depot. Good, solid 14 gauge, 2 conductor wire. It was $32.00 for a hundred feet. The non CL-3 (in-wall) rated stuff is cheaper. Actually that was kind of expensive as you can get the 12gauge in-wall from www.partsexpress.com for 19.50 per 100'. Check out Sound King cable.

brad cook

5. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    There is an HDTV commercial that I love. It shows me what regular programs look like on my TV, then it shows me what regular programming looks like through HDTV. Why would I waste my money on an HDTV when they are perfectly capable of broacasting at HDTV qaulity?

6. You sound like me , spend all that money!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I don't get HDTV. Seems like a waste of money.

I guess i just don't watch enough TV to want to spend $3,000 on it. My 19 inch is more then enough for me i suppose.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I want it but for me it's a thing of having a theater in my home. I watch a lot of DVD's...way more than movies and it's awesome to be able to sit down and get a near theater experience in your own home.

brad cook

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Many stations do broadcast HD for free that you can pick up with an antenna but you have to have an HD receiver (some HDTV's come with them built in). However, it's not going to be HD on a non-HD tv. It will look much sharper on an HDTV plus it's in widescreen.

brad cook