Will my cabs be able to hold up to 1000 watts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZoomBoy, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Hi all,

I'm in the process of researching the purchase of a new preamp/poweramp set up. The cabs I plan to run with are either my pair of Aguilar GS112s or my SWR Henry the 8x8 depending on the gig/venue. The Aggies are both 8 ohm and rated at 300w each and the Henry is 4 ohms and rated at 480w. I've been leaning towards a Carvin DCM1000 and a preamp to be named later although I'm leaning towards the Aguilar DB659.

Would bridging the amp into either speaker configuration be too risky? Will my speakers be able to handle this much juice (1000w at 4 ohms) provided I don't abuse them?

2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    As long as you don't crank it you will be fine.
  3. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    That sounds kind of Zen. You can have all the power you want... as long as you don't use it. :D

But there's some truth to that. The PA guys generally choose amps that can put out about twice the continuous power rating of the speakers. As long as the extra power is only used for peaks, and you don't exceed the continuous power rating on average, everything will be fine. But clip the amp more than occasionally, and you can kiss the speakers goodbye.

So 1000 watts is probably fine for the 8x8, and might actually be a little less than you'd like for the pair of Aggies.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    hey, Related Q
    Carvin DCM1000 bridged 1000watts@4 ohms into two 8 ohm 410XLT's, rated at 700 watts RMS a piece...should be fine, right?
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Should sound great and be fairly loud. Just don't dime the thing.
  6. well, with 2 300 watt cabs you could handle 600 watts at 8 ohms. That head is as you sad 100 watts.. Generally1000 watts at 4 ohms and prolly around 800 or so at 800 watts..i would say to combine your 8X8 and one of the aguilaras....that would be your best bet if that works. If not, just dont turn it up too high..even with that setup that i recommended..bye
  7. dont wanna looklike a dufus so i thought id say that i know your head is 1000 watts not 100 as i said....typing accident..lol...ok
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I won't. I'm jacked! It's gonna be 2 410XLT's a Carvin DCM1000, and the preamp of a WT-300, which is nifty in that in the case of an emergency, I could power one of the XLT's with suffienct volume.

I'm Stoked!