Will my pup combo get my desired sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by e p, Nov 13, 2005.

1. e p

e p

Sep 7, 2004
    Hey all.

I plan on doing a 4 string Status/Warmoth project in the near future and would like to know if my combination of dimarzio split p and dimarzio ultra jazz bridge will get me my desired tone. I will run this through some sort of 3 band eq, most likely a seymour duncan/

My desired tone is from classic rock to death metal, so pretty agressive and modern yet bommy and strong. More specifically, I would like boomy tones similar to Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age, but also ultra trebly tones such as Tool.

Would my P + J combo get me my tones or would the set of ultras be in order...or perhaps a whole different combo? Please give your feedback. :)

2. P/J is definitely versatile...DiMarzio is definitely a solid choice...

I think you'll be satisfied with that particular combination.
  3. e p

e p

Sep 7, 2004
    Thanks. Anyone else?
  4. e p

e p

Sep 7, 2004
  5. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I have a project p/j bass that I've tried a few different pups in. At the moment it has a fernandes pup in the p position and a carvin j99 in the bridge. It's no more versatile in it's range of tones than any other of my basses. Maybe mid pack.
    My most versatile bass is my carvin lb70p that has a j in the neck and humbucker in the bridge.( and a piezio in the saddle)
  6. e p

e p

Sep 7, 2004
    Now im leaning towards a P pickup for classic rock, motown, and rock.

Im also thinking of a growly bright stereotypical jazz bridge pickup.

So would the Dimarzio Split P and Ultra jazz get me my sound?
  7. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Don't agonize over it. Just buy the pickups secondhand off ebay or wherever, install them and try them out. If you really like it, keep them. If not buy some others secondhand and try them too, until you get the tone you want. Then sell the rest. The net cost will be a bit more if you do some experimenting, though not that much if you shop around and buy well. The DMs can be found at excellent prices secondhand and you'll be able to sell them for near what you paid.
    The big advantage with experimenting, is that you'll know when you get the combo you want rather than relying on someone elses opinion of the tone you're looking for.