Will my rig look funny?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    This is an amp question that is really more of a matter of aesthetics than function. Will my rig look funny with a head that is wider than the cab? I got an old 215 cab a while ago and I just scored a SWR WM's 4004 to run it with. I'm piecing a rig together bit by bit on a tight budget, so I still need to have a speaker re-coned and re-install both speakers, so I haven't heard this rig yet, but I think it should be great because I like 15's, I like solid state, and this is going to be a 400 watt 2 x 15 rig. The only problem is that the cab isn't that wide and the head is pretty wide. The "feet" for the head hang off on both sides of the cab so I'm thinking that I'll need to use some sort of a board that sits on top of the cab and the head will sit on the board - maybe I'll carpet it or use rubber feet on the board. It'll work, but the head will hang off about six inches on either side. I think it'll look a little funny, but not a big deal. Will anybody else ever notice this and think my rig looks odd or will they not even notice. Would it bother you? Should I turn the 215 cab on it's side so it doesn't seem to have an overgrown head? Anybody else have this problem or have an opinion on it?
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Sit the cab sideways!
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What he said, but most people wouldn't notice anyway - or care.
  4. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    yeah...do the sideways thing and see how that looks...and it might give you room to put other "stuff" like a drink or something while you're playing! :D
  5. jbass67

Nov 17, 2003
    try moving the rubber feet inward a few inches on both sides.
    i repositioned them on a peavey mark viii because the fan was on the bottom & i used 2 narrow bag end s15d cabinets on top of each other. looks like a giant "T" but it sounded good!
  6. How wide is your cab? The amp is only 21.5" wide. Most 2x15 cabs I've seen are at least that wide? Anyway there's no way you could have 6" on either side hanging over as that would make your cabinet only 9 1/2 " wide. Now that would be a neat trick if you could get 2x15's in a 9 1/2" cabinet. I'd wait until you've got everything together before I started worrying over how it might look. Anyway, I've seen guys playing amps that (well I've thrown away better looking stuff) and they just kick my butt all over the place. No musician I know cares much about how your amp looks, it's how it sounds that matters........
  7. Funny you should mention that. I saw a local bassist that kept a beer on top of his sideways rig...MAKE SURE YOU KEEP AN EYE ON THE DRINK!! :eek: :smug:

Needless to say, tere was lots of beer to be mopped up at the end of the night...what a waste :mad: :D
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Who cares, other than you ???

Your typical audience member cares as much about the aesthetics of your amplification as you do about the wrenches your mechanic uses to put a new fuel pump on your car.

Most of your audience couldn't care much less about the looks of your instrument as opposed to the sound you create...especially since stage lighting usually hides the real beauty of a figured wood anyway. :rolleyes:

Your paychecks aren't based on what your gear looks like.
  9. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    A wide head on top of a 2x15 cab will look like a T.
    T stands for thump...........Rock On Thumper!!!
  10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

I don't even really care how it looks. My concern about the looks of my rig was mostly in regards to bands that I might be auditioning for - would my "mismatched gear" look "unprofessional" and maybe cost me a gig?
    Grey beard, you're right - It probably doesn't hang off 6" on both sides, I was estimating and probably exaggerated. It does however hang off noticeably, making the "big T" shape somebody else described.
    A few people responded that maybe that does look funny and turning the cab on the side might not be a bad idea - but wouldn't this have an effect on the way the cab sounds? Having both speakers on the floor, as opposed to one above the other, with even the bottom speaker being a bit above the floor (casters, port...) So I think I wouldn't want to lay it on it's side.
    Well, I guess if anybody thinks my "big T" shaped rig looks funny, that'll be there problem. I suppose that if a band I was auditioning for thought that I had inadequate gear for that reason - well it would be a good thing to sort them out because they'd be pretty stupid... :meh:
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    But.......would it be cool if you got the gig because you had top shelf gear?

Maybe your skills were average, but you got the gig over the amazing bass player since your rig was $$$$$, and his was $$.

12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Yeah, the more I think about it - that's kinda what I'm coming too. Any band that doesn't want me because I showed up with a 5 and they want somebody that plays 4's or if they think that my rig looks scabbed together or old - I probably wouldn't want to play with them anyway. I'll play my big T shaped rig proudly, I should have it all going soon enough and I fully expect it to thump!
  13. Here's to BIG T! Rock on!
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yep....I played it proudly when I owned it. I was never ashamed. I was too cheap to buy a gramma pad, so I set the head on some pipe insulation.

Make sure you let me know when you got it all together. I would like to hear that cab again.