1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will my strat/overdrive pedal kill my practice bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Jun 30, 2003.

1. My friend needed a guitar and an amp so I lent him my strat, my overdrive pedal and my 25w bass amp. I noticed that with the overdrive pedal on 6, he could get massive volume out of the amp - much more than I could get with my bass.

I've been running my strat through my bass amp for years but always at low volumes. Do I risk blowing out my amp using the guitar? (ie. Should I lend my guitar out again?)

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Absolutely not.... It'll be fine.
    At the frequencies a guitar produces the human ear is MUCH more sensitive.
    That's why it seems louder, and that's why us Bassists need more watts to keep up! :(

3. On the other hand: I NEVER lend gear to ANYONE, especially a when he's a G**TAR PLAYER. They blow up things. It's what they do. They can't help it. It's their nature.

;)

4. sometimes a 16watt guitar amp with an 8 inch celestion can KILL a decent 75 watt bass amp. especially if the guitarist has a distortion pedal.....

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If your amp has a tweeter, an overdrive pedal can do damage to it as distorted waveforms have a lot of high frequency energy in them.

If not, no problem...

6. Nope, just a single 10" speaker. Normally, I wouldn't be concerned but he was getting more volume than I thought was possible out of the amp.

Yeah...those guitarists... :ninja: