Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will new pick-ups make *that much* of a difference?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jun 30, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a geddy jazz with stock mia fender p/ups. I was thinking of upgrading to get a more ballsy, huge, vibrant, powerful sound. know what i mean?:smug:

what kind of p/ups should I get?

Would it make that much of a difference?

The clerk at the music store said that he wouldnt bother upgrading as the Fender p/ups are fine.

Opinions?

2. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, I'd leave them. Those are the 70's vintage pups which that particular bass is known for. Unless you want a different bass, I'd leave it as is.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1 for leaving them. I thought the Geddy pickups were really good. Balls and power come from the player.

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Is there something wrong with these pick-ups that made you want to change them?

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    nothing wrong with them. just feeling like i need to tweak something somewhere. maybe go active? but then that seems like overkill and alot of hassle.

btw, since i changed the neck this bass probably doesnt sound that vintage anyway.

6. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    what is the point of buying the geddy lee bass if youre gonna change the neck and the pickups?

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Not really - to me, the terms "ballsy" and "vibrant" are at odds with "huge" and "powerful".

If you want the former, you can't get much better than the stock Jazz pickups. They should have plenty of cut and midrange. If you want a thicker, bassier tone, I'd go with something like passive Bartolinis or the DiMarzio humbucking ultrajazz. No need for active.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Its a free country Dude! Originally, I bought it because of the good reviews, good price and nice neck dimensions (the moses has the same dimensions), plus its black!

If I can change it to make it better to suit my tastes, why not? I am not a purist I guess.

9. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    Hi Vegan,

You've probably already done this but I was thinking, if you still have the sansamp BDDI i saw listed in your public profile, I would suggest experimenting with it to try to modify your sound. Those things are varsatile as heck.

Good luck!

CJ

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    While the pickups in it are fine, id say yes to your question about will it make that much difference. It will make a HUGE difference as the pickups IMO are the biggest tonal contribution. Will it make it better or worse, I wont say, but it will make a difference deffinantly.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hmm..

Well, I actually havent got that sabddi yet. I guess putting it in my profile was a little hopeful/premature:D When i do get it I hope it will kick some major a$$ as its reported to do.

So if p/ups make a huge difference what kind would be the best for balls to the walls, thunderous tone?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ah, I get it now...you're a tinkerer and you're going to change stuff whether you need to or not. Which is fine...it's your bass. Just don't be surprised if you don't get what you're looking for out of it. As I said, balls come from the player, not the equipment.

BTW, I am firmly in the camp that believes the pickups are possibly the least important aspect of a bass' sound.

13. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'd tend to agree.

Marshall

14. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well, i usually play with a pick and I think my "balls" are just fine.:cool: I was just curious to see if different p/ups would make a significant difference.

some say yes, others no..

ymmv i guess.

15. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    I have done about all there is to do to try to get the sound I wanted over the last 35 years. I got it last year by accident. The pickups you have are wonderful, nice axe, I assume good strings and an amp capable of reproducing whatever "you put out there". I broke the truss rod on my least favorite creation and had to take the neck apart as it had a POS single acting with flat nuts on each side. I took the neck apart, put a dualrod single acting in with almost all of the rod action unecessary because of the backbow I put in when I glued it back together and now I have a bass that sings and growls the stuff I have in my head top priority! The neck is, IMHO, an incredible part of bass sonics. Took a while to learn but it shouldn't take you as long. A neck in excessive compression is NOT a happy bass neck. The growl is stuck in there somewhere until the compressed wood of the neck gets out of it's way. How many IMHOs should I put in here?

16. Great point...necks are the major thing that set good basses apart from GREAT basses!

17. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    As your luck would have it, I recently posted a bunch of clips I recorded last year of different pups in a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186190

While the underlying bass sound stays basically the same, there's no doubt in my mind that different pickups work better in different basses.

I personally thought there wasn't enough high end response in the Geddy Lee stock pickups, so I did the experiments. If people like the stock pickups, that's fine too. What works for one person does not necessarily work for another.

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It's a very lonely camp.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Maybe so but it saves me a lot of money. Funny, though...it doesn't seem to hurt my playing.

20. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    EMGs ared very ballsy (punchy) and vibrant. I am a big proponent of EMGs. I used to hate them, but that was because of a sub-par parts bass. When I put them in a ply bodied Squier, that bass sang. And it still does.