1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will Power/Model 1 question for new build

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JayGunn, Jul 27, 2012.

1. JayGunn

JayGunn Supporting Member

On my new build (Luthier thread coming soon) I'm tempted to go for a choice of pickups with a big range of sounds--deep fundamental from the neck pickup, lots of complexity from the bridge, two quite different personalities.

I'm thinking of using a DiMarzio Will Power neck pickup and an MM bridge pickup, buffered so the differences in hotness and impedance can be adjusted for.

Here's what I'm assuming and wondering if I'm wrong: soloed, the Will Power neck will sound more like a P-bass pickup than a Jazz bass neck. Do you think I'm on the right track? I want it to be a useful P-ish sound soloed, not just a huge-bottom effect a la Billy Sheehan.

Yes, I could do a P/MM and that's my fall-back plan. I'd place the Will Power about 1/2" to 3/4" closer to the fingerboard that the customary P centerline. I'd place the MM where Stingrays have it or maybe put it about 1/4" closer to the bridge.

Flames welcome, but real info is desired. Thanks in advance.

2. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    The buffer is a great idea, first of all. However, I'm not sure the Will Power Neck will give you the P-bass sound you desire. Yes, it's as wide as the P-bass pickup (which does play a big role), but it senses all the strings with both coils as opposed to how a P-bass senses them. Can't promise it'll sound very P-like, but you're right, it will sound more like a P-bass pickup than a J-bass neck one. It'll sound cool regardless.

Your best bet would be to suspend the pickups above the strings somehow, connect them to the buffers and see how they sound in a particular position. Then you can fool around with the exact spot for the M1 and the MM and see what sounds best.