Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will Power Neck and Model J bridge...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by duckbutter, Oct 28, 2005.

1. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I was thinking of going with a Will Power Neck (neck position on a jazz bass) and Model J bridge pup ...good idea or bad?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Will Power neck can be quite the muddy pickup, however, moved further towards the bridge, I can imagine it sounding quite nice, but I dunno how it'll handle the highs. I've only played one butted up against the neck on a P-bass.

I'd use some sort of hum-cancelling bridge pickup too in case you don't want the mud of the Will Power poking through.

3. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    So, you don't think that the Dimarzio Model J in the bridge postion would help?

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

The model J is hum-canceling (humbucking in fact unless you split the coils). In my experience, the model J also can stand alone (in sounded best that way) and get's thumb's up from most players so it's a good probability shot. Also a fairly inexpensive pup and can at times be picked up dirt cheap second hand.

5. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    When I emailed DiMarzio about that, they said I was the first person to ask for that set. I still haven't tried it. Mainly because dealers can't get their part numbers straight on the DP123L.

Tim may be right about it being muddy, but I'd anticipate anything being muddy in an EB0 placement. :D

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Although the majority of neck pups tend toward the muddy side, there are clear neck pups - the Dearmond Starfire is clear. What is probably more exceptional is to have a neck pup that's not dark, and there are a few of those about.

The Willpower Middle and neck are typically paired together so I'd guess if Dimarzio got a request for a Willpower to go with a J it would be the middle not the neck. Regardless, bit of a suprise cuase those pups have been around for a while.

There's a review on the middle Willpower in the Dimento P experiment in the FAQ section. From recall, it was more boxie in my experience than muddy (more upper mids than lower-mid mid). But that was P position and a different pup.

7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Doh! That's what I asked them for, not a WP Neck. Oops.

FWIW, they also told me the main difference between the WPN and the Model One is string spacing. They gave me the impression it's not a tone issue at all.

8. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    The WP Neck and Ultra J bridge would be used for a possible Warmoth EB project. The WP Middle is a P pup, I want the "look" of an EB-3, that's why I was wondering about the WPNeck and UJ Bridge.