Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

will refinishing effect sound?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by webrax, Apr 21, 2003.

1. webrax

webrax

Apr 19, 2003
    U.K.
    I have a Warwick Thumb bass - natural wood, bubinga body, wenge, ovankol and poss. one other for the neck. I am considering having a pro refinish (Both body and neck) into a solid colour. I have been told that due to the open grain of the Wenge, a polyester finish would be best.

I have no experience on this one, and prior to committing serious funds on a pro quality job, would like to know if any of you guys have any experience as to if this type of refinish will alter the overall tone of the guitar at all, and if so, is there any way of knowing how?

thanks for any help - regards, Webrax.

2. If the Warwick currently has the standard oil and wax finish, then yes, adding a hard polyester finish will change the tone quite a bit. I haven't had a Warwick refinished, but I've played pairs of Warwicks and Wals that were similar except for the finishes. Hard to say exactly how it will effect any specific instrument, but generally, I'd expect a poly finish to lose some of the "woodiness", to tighten up the bottom and make the top end brighter.

Mike