will rewiring my cab help me get less resistance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by violatedppl, Oct 25, 2005.

1. I guy at a local music shop (he is a fellow bass player) told me that if I rewire my cab with a smaller guage cable (is larger size) that it will help out by lowering the ristance the amp sees and will let the power flow better. He also suggested that I put a speakon jack on the cab which is a peavey tfx 412. and since I am writing this, is the crown power base a good starting point for my pre power set up. The one I am looking at does 4ohms parallel mono 680watts. I think this would be a decent step up from 350 watts that I am getting from my tmax, or should I get a behringer 1500/2500.
  2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If your cab is currently wired with 22 or higher gauge I'd be concerned. If wired with 16 gauge or lower you'd be wasting your time and money to replace it. 18 or 20 gauge is marginal, but with the eight feet or so total wire inside the cab replacing it all with even 10 gauge would probably not be audible.

Speaking of inaudible, that's just about what the difference is between 350 and 680 watts.
  3. yeah but the extra watts will give me more headroom which I am runnign short on at this point
  4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    And maintain volume further from the amp.

5. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Pfft. As Bill Fitzmaurice said, unless you're using really small wire now, it's not gonna make any difference at all. But, if you're determined to waste your money, go ahead...
  6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

The wiring thing wont make that much of a difference.

For some reason I just focussed on getting more power.