1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will roundwounds do any damage to my Shergold?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Mar 4, 2008.

1. I'm using Rotosounds at the moment and it's become a worry now I'm going to do some serious damage to my Shergold now I'm playing regularly.

The previous owner decided to defret it and the fretboard wasn't epoxied. Now I could have the epoxy work done or have a refret done but I love the sound of my Shergold as it is and so I really don't want to do anything to it.

The neck is obeche with a maple fretboard.

Any ideas as to what I should do strings-wise?

2. well some people do just play like that (jaco) but it really will tear at the fingerboard.

you should go ahead and epoxy it if you really want roundwounds. it shouldnt significantly alter your sound

3. It's not that I want roundwounds but that seems to be all I can get hold of in the music shops around here.

I really don't want to epoxy the fretboard if I can avoid it because I am also considering a refret at some point in the future (I'm keeping this bass as long as possible).