Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

will Sadowsky Metro/Sadowsky Japan/Lakland Skyline take away more Fender's sales?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AJ Love, Feb 27, 2004.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    seems like Fender has a good hold on the market in terms of marketing/mystique and legend (and sales of low priced instruments) but everyone is raving about the quality of instruments like the Sadowsky Metro and Lakland Skyline

seems to me that Fender will begin to lose alot of sales in the under $2000 market (for the life of me I can't see why anyone would buy a Fender for $1300 when they have so many better choices including Used Boutique makers like Elrick, Roscoe, and Lull) as well as the over $2000 market (why buy a Custom Shop Fender when there are so many better basses out there in that price range?)...

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I know some people that won't play anything but a Fender. It has a certain mistique that players want & feel they can't get with another axe.

Also, When I was working at Sam Ash, people want what the pro's are playing, especially young kids. Lots of bands play Fender's & the kids want what their "idol's" are playing.

3. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I really love my Fender, though I can't imagine having more than one. I haven't played a higher end or boutique bass that has felt quite like a Fender. For many purposes, I love it. However for all the other purposes a Fender can't touch what some of the nicer basses have. Just the other day I was trying a 4 string swamp ash Rick Turner at the music shop and I loved the way it felt. However if I could only have one bass I would choose my Fender. Something about it. The glow, the way it feels, makes it a Fender. That can't be replicated (though who wants to anyways?).

Fender will always be Fender, and people will always buy them because of that.

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think there is a lot of mystique about the Fender Jazz. Alot of people I know will only play Fender because they claim they are the only ones that can get that tone. My F-Bass in passive mode and single coils on sounds exactly like my old Fender Jazz sounded. I can also play it active and with Humbuckers. It is incredibly versatile, and I definitely choose it over a Fender Jazz. That is not to say I don't like Fender. What attracts me to the Fender is the simplicity. If someone is looking for a workhorse bass that plays good, sounds good, and doesn't cost a lot, why not get a Fender. Tried and true.

5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Fender has advertising, marketing and visibility as a big part of their sales tools. It will take the niche manufacturers awhile to compete in those areas. Also, boutique styling such as exotic woods and non-traditional body shapes are not for everyone.

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    'cause some Fender's play really, REALLY well.....