Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will Seymour Duncan pups fit in a Carvin B4?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by keyboardguy, Aug 21, 2005.

1. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Hi,

I'm refinishing a Carvin B4 kit I got from Ebay and want to install Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pickups in it (bridge and neck pups).

Has anyone installed SD's in a Carvin B4? Is the B4 routings deep enough for the pups?

The dimensions of the bridge and neck pups 'seem' to look like they'd fit, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this. The antiquity, antiquity II and Bassline models appear to have the same measurements.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Mike

2. keyboardguy

May 11, 2005
    Anyone?

3. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Can't verify the depth issue but Carvin uses the same pup in their 4,5, and 6 stringers so the routing is a little longer than a fender 4 string which should allow popular replacements to fit.

4. In carvin basses both the pickups are the same length. In every pickup avail. for replacement except for the bill lawrence j's the bridge pickup is longer then the neck pickup. Every bass I've seen except for a carvin has the longer bridge and shorter neck pup. The antiquity will fit, but you'll have to shave off some from one of the screw holes on the neck pup. I replaced my carvin pups for some barts and had to do this, and some dimarzio's a while back ago as well.
    good luck,
    -eric
    there's also a discussion board on the carvin website as well.

5. keyboardguy

May 11, 2005
    Thanks folks;

I ordered the Semour Duncan Antiquity II (neck bridge) today. Your information has been helpful. It seems the wiring will be a no-brainer; just hook em up where the J99's were.

Did any of you have the Carvin J99's? From what I read the SD will have an even bigger bottom that the 99's, which is what I want.

Thanks again.

Mike

6. I replaced the j99's. They were decent enough, not too clear, def. had big bottom, but hummed like a mofo...let me know how the antiq. turn out. Those were the others I was contemplating.
    -eric