Will somebody please tell me some good basses for punk.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stinkyrypoo, Jul 7, 2002.

1. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    I need some help on finding a good bass for punk. I really would like a bass thats good for punk but also good for use all around. I was thinking about a stingray 5 (check it out below, its nice!) but if anybody can refer me something better (except a p-bass) i would appreciate it.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Any of 'em. IMHO, versatility lies more with the player than with the bass.
  3. TheLastMinute

Jun 23, 2002
    Warwicks rock..............Thats what im kickin.
  4. What Fuzzbass said, the decision is really on you. A lot of punkists go with a Stingray, which would be my choice, but most go for a classic P-bass. Easiest to get the tone you want out of.
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Asking what bass is good for punk and then saying that you dont want a P bass is like saying your hungry but wont eat food.

Well anyways, putting that asside, Id agree with Fuzzbass.

6. I would suggest a Rickenbacker, not only because I love them but because they have a distinctive growl which suits punk. Glenn Matlock of Sex Pistils (before Sid) and Lemmy of Motorhead used them.
  7. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    its intresting that u say this cuz punks kinda supposed to be all about not conforming but i understand your out for that general tone. I have a stingray and i think that may be the tone your after. But, remeber, alot of your tone rests in your amp as well. Ive seen a few punk bands playing rickenbackers (sp?) so pretty much anything can be used. I would suggest either an american deluxe pbass or a 4 string sterling. If you want more of a rounded out tone a sterling will give u more options, but i dont suggest a 5 string. The extra string doenst come in that handy IMO.
  8. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Hmm fretless+punk:rolleyes: If you want the Stingray tone I'd suggest getting the fretted version... Unless your trying to be inventive of course... But IMO the tone of a fretless bass disregarding the play just wouldn't cut it in punk
  9. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    For crap sake...punk is what you want it to be. Open your friggin ears, man. What do you want it to sound like? Go for the tone you have in your head. Who says whats punk anyway? I personally think fretless would kick some major ass in punk rock. Thats just me. Dont go around saying this is the punk sound, this is the punk bass. Why set guidlines for your creativity?

:Edit: Another thing, Are you only going to be playing punk? Do you plan on playing punk forever. If you do and even dont a MM will be good for just about anything, whether its a fretless of a 5 string. I myslef, play a 5 string. I dont only play punk either but even when I do I like being able to use the B string.
  10. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    I said, IMO! A well rounded soft tone with loud drumming and distorted guitar, I don't think that would sound good, but hey its your band and your ears, so go for it. Punk is about doing what YOU want to do. Not what I think you should do.
  11. i say stingray if you dont like the pbass, or whatever the bassist for Thursday uses, he has awesome tone.
  12. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Thursday's bassist (Tim Payne) uses a Warwick Thumb and yes his tone is awesome. It sounds great in the mix of everything else.
  13. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    A lot of punk bassists use Musicman basses. But just listen for yourself and trust your ears. I get punk tones from a Jazz bass, go figure.
  14. I have a Music Man Sting Ray 5, and I love it. I highly recommend it. I have the same one you posted, except fretted and without the piezo pickups. Have fun playing on whatever bass you do get though.
  15. I get pretty good punk tones with my P bass, J bass, and fretless Ray. Hmmm..... maybe punk is in the hands, not the bass.
  16. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Some classic punk songs were recorded with P-basses. Think Ramones, NoMeansNo, and Sex Pistols.
  17. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Check out as many basses as you can and then decide what you like best. Thats the most "punk" thing you could do, as well as the smartest thing to do. Whether it costs $300 or $3000, if it gives you the playability and tone control that you're seeking, I'd suggest you get it. Stingrays, PBasses, Jazzes, Warwicks, along with your Peaveys, Ibanezes, and Schecters could all work equally well depending on your standards... Beauty lies in the eyes (and ears) of the beholder.

18. Old_skool is such a bro. He says things that I would be saying had I been on today. :D

I play punk. I play Zons. I play fretless. I don't play cheesy pop punk... I play nasty, gritty, lo-fi s**t that peels paint off walls.

I see this sort of thread come up too often. Don't look for a good Punk bass, just look for a good bass.
    Let your fingers do the rest!

Besides, all those people who must CONFORM to "Punk" equipment usually suck. Don't try so hard that you end up missing the point. I knew a girl who had an SWR rig that she got rid of because it was "too high end" and therefore "not very Punk". She ended up getting some crappy rig that sounds like a wet fart from a dead hippo.
    Her sound sucks. Her band sucks. Her idea of "Punk" sucks. She has shorthanded herself.

19. Gibson Grabber or Ripper, 1,2, or 3. They're all good. :D

Punk really is whatever you want, so try some basses.. blah blah, and then see what you like :)
  20. Epiphone EB-0
    Best bass for punk ever created :)