1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will steel strings mess up my FB?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Uncle K, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I was on a quest to find the perfect strings for my Mustang, and found D'addario ProSteels: the answer to my prayers.

Today I was talking to a guitarist and he told me that steel strings will wear down my frets faster and mar up my fretboard. Any truth to this?

2. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    Yes this is true, however it's not something that's gonna happen overnight. It'll be years until there will be any significant wear. Play what feels right to you!

3. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    +1 on what Chico16 says, Oh and never listen to a guitar player. :)

4. Mister_argentum

Mister_argentum

Aug 30, 2011
    Geneva
    True but some brands more than others. Anyway it will take several years so do not worry too much about it.

5. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Another +1 on Chico16. It will take years to see it making a difference and even more to make playing a problem. Once you hit that point you can go to a luthier and have your frets repaired to all be even again. I believe some of the luthiers on this site have said most frets can handle 2 or 3 levelings before they need to be replaced.

6. Steel strings will mess up your desire to play Nickel strings :D

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    If your not being real heavy handed with your fretting and dont use basses with cheap soft metal frets, is not a problem. It'll take a very long time to get any significant wear with stainless steel roundwound strings.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

How would one know he has cheap soft frets on his bass, especially since most of them use the save 18% nickel silver alloy?
    Frets will get worn with time. It's a part of life for things to age and it's ok. If you like the tone of steel strings use them.

9. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

May 19, 2010
    Exeter, NH
    it also has to do with technique, so if you do a lot of vibrato by pulling the strings horizontally against the frets it'll wear them down faster.

10. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    It's less of a problem with frets than with a fretless.

Look at it this way. Your car tires are going wear out but you still drive it. Frets fit into the same kind of this category.

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    On a fretted bass, the strings never touch the fingerboard unless you're using seriously bad technique. You've got nothing to worry about.

12. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    I always used dean markley 2674 blue steel cryogenic, and my basses frets are fine, I dont think you should take string advice from a guitar player either.

13. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    +1