Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will switching EMGs make a vast improvement?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by brake, Apr 17, 2004.

1. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Currently I'm playing a Spector NS2000/q4 w/ EMG HZs & an EMG preamp. Will swapping them for DCs make a vast improvement in my tone?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    As of yet I've had neither, but I've consistently heard good things about the HZ's from experienced players and nothing bad. Really haven't heard anything of recollection about the DC's. I've had active EMG PJs and JVs and no complaints there and the DC's are probably on the same plain. Probably just a matter of tone prefence I'd guess.

3. The swap would probably be an improvement, but I don't think it would be a "vast improvement". I'm pretty sure it would be subtle.

I have 2 basses with the EMG HZ pickups, one has an active EQ, and the other is all passive. I also have a bass with Active EMGs, I would say the HZs with the active EQ, sounds very close to the active EMGs.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think that the active emg's have more growl. They made a squier p-bass really growly. The HZ's were good and balanced, but I like the low mid grind that the actives put out. I have not tried the soapbars yet.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Just curious as to why do you have two basses sounding so much alike - different setup/strings, etc? How does the all passive bass sound relative to the actives?

6. Yeah, the bass with the HZs and the active EQ is a 4 string tuned DGCF, and the bass with the active EMGs is a 6 string in standard tuning.

The all passive bass is my fretless. I would say the tone is warm/darkish.

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I swapped out the HZs in my neck through NS2000/5 last summer, and there's a huge diffrence between the DC's that replaced them and the HZs I left in the NS2000Q5. Better low end, really crisp highs. Much better for slap/funk. I've since pulled the frets from the 'Q5 and it is now equipped with flats, so I'm happy with that bass again...so far... ;)

But if you have a chance to go active pickups with active preamp...go for it! I haven't regretted it or thought it a waste in any way whatsover!

8. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I may eventually swap them. Cool! Thanks guys..

9. I probably just got a rotten apple, but I had a spector with hz's for a week, and they were terrible. I took the bass back after owning it and practicing it for a week. EMG's are amazing pickups, but I think I just got a bad one :/

10. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    About two years ago and there is a difference. I also changed out the preamp with the BQC system. It has mid control and that made a HUGE difference.

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I think if anything getting the BQC w/ midsweep will make the biggest difference. To my ear the Spector pre lacks the mid punch and growl that the BQC gives you. Right now you have bass and treble knobs and no way to adjust mids besides your head or EQ. I plan on doing this upgrade too and keeping my HZ's for now. I have heard DC 40's, and there was a little diference but nothing that stands out, but the BQC with eithier pups adds a lot.

12. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
  13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You could also try EMG's other pickups.

They have pickups with the same shape housing but P and J style coils inside. They also have the CS versions which are supposed to be warmer.

The TW will give you both the DC and J coils in one pickup that are switchable.

Peace
    Nick

14. Yeah, my 6 string has EMG 40-P and 40-J pickups. They look like soapbars, but have the P and J coils inside.