Will SX Neck Fit '70s Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lbwdog, Dec 28, 2007.

1. I know this has been discussed before but I'm 55 years old and sifting through the SX megathreads could possibly take the rest of my life! :)

I'm helping my long time friends with a project. I play in a band with him (keys) and his wife (sings). Twentyfive years ago she decided to play bass, so he got her an early seventies Jazz with maple board and black blocks. Well, the neck always had problems. It had a slight twist and bow in it and the truss rod was frozen. The bass never did play well despite me doing everything I could to help it. She eventually stopped playing so it's been sitting up for a few years.

Hurricane Katrina came along and their house was flooded with salt water and all kinds of gunk.The bass, unfortuately was in it. So now she wants to start back playing a little and has turned to me to help get the bass in playing shape, and wants to change to a rosewood board. The only dilemma is what to do about the neck without spending an arm and a leg.

My opinion would ideally be to find a used Highway 1 (One) neck that would bolt right on. In the recent past, I've seen some here in classifieds, but you know there aint one around when you need it!
    Here's the SX I'm thinking of. http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb75rctneck.html

I think I've read that an SX would work with a little modification but can't remember if it's slimmer or wider at the pocket than a stock Fender.
    Any Ideas?

2. It should fit fine. I just put an SX neck on a Squier body and it didn't need any modification at all.

3. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I'll suggest an option to you that may or may not sit well with her, depending on how attached she is to the bass, but it's worth putting it to her.

If the bass is an early 70s Jazz, and is still in it's original condition (that part's important!!) it's probably worth quite a bit of money, even with the neck in the condition it is. What I'd suggest is seperating the neck from the body. Ebay the body fully loaded with all it's hardware, electronics, and probably include the neck plate with the body. Sell the neck seperately, with or without the tuners (they could go in a seperate auction again). State quite clearly that you believe the neck to have issues, and suggest what you believe those issues to be. Even with the issues, the neck will go because of the black block markers.

I wouldn't like to suggest a specific figure she'd get (research Ebay, www.gbase.com etc. to get a better idea), but I'd be surprised if she didn't pull at least $1500 for her efforts (and that's a fairly conservative figure). With that sort of cash, she could get herself a very nice bass and have money left over.

4. That is exactly what I suggested but I believe the sentimental value might outweigh the money factor, and I can understand that.
    I'm just trying to help

5. Eric, I'd go with a Warmoth J neck replacement. More money than the SX neck, but the quality would be better, and they have the steel reinforcement bars for better tone and sustain, plus it won't warp and twist in the Louisiana humidity.

You could reuse all the existing hardware if not too rusted. If desired, you could then get a waterslide decal for the headstock.

You could also go with a Fender replacement part, but that'd probably be more money still.

Bottom line with this is that it's a great old Jazz bass. I wouldn't go for the budget SX neck unless money is extremely tight.

6. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Ah, fair enough. I was going to say, I was surprised you hadn't thought of it already - apparently you had!! :D

Okay, next option might be to get that neck over to a decent luthier to find out what's actually wrong with it, and what can be done about it. A black block maple neck from the early 70s would be worth spending a bit of money on if the fix didn't require any drastic alterations.

I'd expect you've probably put this to her as well, but again, it's worth mentioning.

7. Yeah, I'd say a warmoth over an SX only because the bass deserves it. You can find plain jane maple and rosewood on the showcase for around 150 bucks.... mask it off with tape, and seal it up with a wax blend or a couple coats of poly and have an infinitely better neck.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021