Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will tapewound strings work on an electric bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FalsehoodBass, Dec 20, 2002.

1. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I have a new electric fretless and i want more URB-ish thump and less ring. It came with rotosound roundwounds on it, and i was thinking that tapewounds would be the best way to go.

But since they're not wrapped in metal, will they work with magnetic pickups? I'm thinking that i want to try the LaBella tapewounds that Carvin sells, since they're so cheap. I want to make sure they'll work on my bass though.

If not... what do you think is the most URB-ish string that will work on an electric bass?

Thanks for any help

Brian.

EDIT: woa it turns out that the labella's aren't that cheap... so i'm open to any suggestions... thanks again.

2. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Hey! Yes, tapewounds will work. I put them on my fretless soon after I got mine. Not sure which bass you have to help out with more suggestions. I have a G & L L1000. When I turned on the bass boost, and played more on the neck, I got a pretty good upright like tone.

3. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    its a yamaha BBN-4... it's a pretty cheap bass and my first step into fretless. It has 2 standard jazz pups and a rosewood fretboard (i think). I'm not expecting much, but id think strings are the cheapest and most effective way to alter the sound to something thumpier.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    somethin' like...........this? :rolleyes: :D

[​IMG]

I put TI Jazz Rounds on mine. But Tapes WILL work with magnetic pups.

I've tried tapes on a Yamaha RBX260F and Epiphone Casady (not
    fretless...yet!) - both w/mag pups - with pleasant results.

Rotosound and LaBella make good tapewound sets. IME, the Rotos
    are a bit thumpier vs the `Bella's bein' more zingy.

Another option would be to try Thomastik-Infeld or Pyramid flats (both $$$++),or
    Fender or Ernie Ball flats ($$$--).

P.S. - I think Carvin sells re-packaged LaBella tapes pretty cheap.

5. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    The best thing about using tapewounds is you won't have to change them till they break! I finally broke a string and thought I'd try using flatwounds. It wasn't the same. If you rest your thumb on the neck, right where it meets the body, and pluck from there, you can get a upright like tone.

6. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    yea notd... just like that.. except mine doesn't have exposed pole pieces and its a different color. For the money, that is a great bass.

Thanks for the suggestions... i'll see what i can find in my area...

I checked the carvin site though, and their roundwounds are sold under the carvin name, but the tapewound strings still say LaBella on them, and they're a little pricier...