1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will the Ampeg SVT-450H suffice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Just been browsing around, looking at heads again and am thinking about the Ampeg SVT-450H. I play in a metal band with a Genz Benz El Diablo half stack on one side and a Marshall JCM 900 half stack on the other side.

Right now I'm running a single 18" speaker and my Kustom Groove Bass 1200HD at 8 ohms(450 watts) and it seems to do the job. Now obviously if I wanted to utilize the full 450 watts from the Ampeg head, I'd have to get a 4 ohm cab. I was thinking that if I made the switch, I'd get the 610 cab. I've heard that some people think Ampeg exaggerates their solid state wattage. I've read several other threads about this head and the results have come back about 50/50. So I'm going in for a second opinion. :hyper:

2. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Honestly, I hate the SVT-450H with a passion.

For $750, you can get a much better amp.
    Check out the GK 1001RB-II or the GK 800RB.

Both are well loved and respected, and very versatile.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I agree, shop around. The SVT450H is nothing more than a B2R in an SVT disguise. If you like the amp, save some $$ and get the B2R, but not really, I didn't just recomend that head.