1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will the Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus pedal "thicken" my tone without "warbly" effect???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bdhoward27, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Looking into the Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus pedal to thicken my tone up a bit. Before spending any money on a pedal that may be useless for the style of music I play, I would like to get a little feedback as to if it would be worth it, and settings that would get me started. I'm a finger-style player in an instrumental, progressive rock band that relies more on melodies and less on modern djent-style breakdowns. I guess I should mention that I add a pretty good amount of overdrive to my tone.

Here's my current chain excluding tuner:

Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor (input first, output last in chain)
    Boss LMB-3 Bass Limiter/Enhancer
    Boss LS-2 Line Selector
    Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive (output A from NS-2, heavy overdrive on lows)
    Joyo Ultimate Drive (output B from NS-2, heavy dose of tone function adds grindy attack)

I'm really looking to thicken up my highs and high-mids without effecting my lows. I just figure adding a chorus effect would sit nicely in the high, and high-mid, bass frequencies. The last thing I want to do if I use a chorus pedal is to sound out-of-tune, or muddy up my lows. NOTE: the "warbly" effect is something I want to stay far, far away from!!! If this pedal, or any other chorus pedal, is worth it, the settings I'm thinking of off the top of my head are: little to no low filter, 9 o'clock or lower rate, 12 o'clock or higher depth, and adjust the e. level as I see fit.

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks.

2. JensCambre

JensCambre

Feb 3, 2014
    Belgium
    I really recommend you look into the TC Electronic corona chorus. I've used a few chorusses, but this one blows 'em all out of the water. Also, the toneprint funtion is reall handy tool. Also, this chorus can do exactly what you just asked for!

RAMUSIC and bdhoward27 like this.
  3. I owned the CEB-3 and I sold it.

In my opinion it has an interesting feature: the Low Filter button. So you can choose how it will affects the chorus fx at your bass signal. So you can leave unaffected part of your sound. It´s like a kind of crossover, the chorus starts to work I get some good tones with no losing end while the chorus was on. I could sound so not exactly the same way but close to "Sweet Child O´Mine" of Guns´n Roses´.

But I must say that I have two personal complaints of this pedal too:

The first: I founded this chorus effect too subltle to my taste. I missed a better balance with the dry and wet signals no having to jump the volume when the pedal is on.
    The second: To me it sounds a little bit like a flanger and a little cold sound too. I found more warbly the MXR Micro Chorus, for instance.

I ound that with the CEB-3 I could thick my tone just a little bit. The Low Filter it works. But I get ride ´cause it doen´t fits me well for me, ´cause I really had another sound chorus in my head.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  4. I was also looking into this after I posted this thread. It didn't have the "low filter" function which worries me. But, it looks like the speed and tri-filter functions can be altered to where warbly lows aren't an issue. Call me a noob, JensCambre, but I don't fully understand the stereo/mono feature. Would stereo provide a rounder chorus sound? Also, the toneprint feature looks cool. How exactly does that work? The chorus on Duff McKagan's tone was pretty sick. That's pretty much exactly what I am looking for in a chorus pedal!

5. JensCambre

JensCambre

Feb 3, 2014
    Belgium
    With the TC Electronic Corona chorus, you can sound exactly like Duff, because he made a toneprint for them.

6. JensCambre

JensCambre

Feb 3, 2014
    Belgium
    It's very easy, you just download the toneprint onto the pedal, which can be done in a few ways (the easiest is just beaming it with your smartphone), set al the knobs at 12 o' clock en put the switch on toneprint... et voila, you have duff's chorus!

about the stereo chorus, I'm no expert on that either because I don't use it. It just gives you the option to split the chorus into 2 signals so that you can send it to 2 different amps, ... and make it sound fuller, rounder, ... :)

I really recommend this pedal, it is by far the best chorus I have ever used, and I've used a few...

RAMUSIC and bdhoward27 like this.
  7. Exactly!

But I hadn´t the TC. So I could getting this tone rougly with my CEB-3. Not exactly the same sound, but it worked for me.