Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will the Cranberries ever make a come back?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 3, 2004.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The past few days i have been listening to alot of their material and i keep wondering if they will make a come back in the rock scene in the USA, any thoghts on this?.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I really hope not. I strongly disliked the singers voice, and how she had to fill up all available spaces with yelping, moaning, wailing, etc.

3. MAJOR METAL

I am a fan of the band but when i read that i really had to laugh :p , i think your take on her fillers is very funny. :D

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    +1

The most horrific attempt at imitating Shinead O'Connor I've ever had to endure.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Agreed!!!! I dig Sinead, I was just watching a divx of the DirectTV Free View of hers. I forget the title, but it's some interviews and background then a nice concert of traditional Irish folk mixed with African beats... good stuff!

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    -you know, if I liked her voice it would be great, but otherwise it really drives the nail home. I'm scarred for life by the "linger" song. It lingered all right. Like bad gas in an elevator. ;)

I hope they make a big comeback by selling records to their fans (just without radio play).

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    +2

Their first CD was tolerable, but her voice was like nails on a chalkboard.

"In your HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAD!!!!! In your HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!"

8. +3

I already have to play two of their stupid songs with my cover band, although my singer's voice is way easier on the nerves. :D

Oh, and their bassist sucks big time. Friggin' boring lines.

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    So does their guitar player.
    Ugh, from what I've heard of them so far, they're pretty terrible instrumentalists, all of them. I don't mind Dolores's voice, although I admit it is a bit grating.

10. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I think their music was OK but I don't like the singers voice.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, they totally jumped the shark... She's more annoying that she is interesting...

12. +4. I can't think of a vocalist I dislike more. For the love of God, no more Cranberries.

13. MAJOR METAL

Not to many fans here.

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I like 'em.

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

i went to one of their concerts once cuz my parents happened to have extra tickets(got them at some random auction or something), so the whole family went. pretty good. i can tolerate her voice.

16. MAJOR METAL

Cool :bassist:

17. When "Zombie" came out, I wrote them off. Then came "Salvation" and burned the paper I wrote them off on.

Yup, Delores' fault....too bad too, considering the first record is an all time fave.

18. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm not a big fan but my wife likes them so I listen to them every once in awhile.

But her voice is the trademark for their music.

19. MAJOR METAL

True

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I for one think it's hilarious that someone named MAJOR METAL would start a "Please... come back Cranberries" thread.