Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will the EMGs sound different than the Lace Sensors?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by heavyJams, May 1, 2003.

1. Hey all. I've got a 1990 MIA Jazz bass with Lace Sensors. I love the way my bass feels, but I'm not too happy with the tone. I'm running it through a Carvin R600 head and an RL2x10 or Goliath II or both. Still... it's not quite the tone I'm looking for. Will replacing the Lace Sensors with EMGs make a difference? Or should I try a new amp? What's the deal? I almost bought some used EMG jazz pickups used for $75, but the guy at the store told me it wouldn't make a big difference tonally. What do you guys think?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    this all depends a bunch on what kind of sound you want. Lace sensors and EMG active models are similar. if you want vintage fender sound, get some fender jazz pickups. If you want smooth & creamy, get bartolinis. If you want fatter sound, get duncans.

3. bass_evangelist

bass_evangelist

May 16, 2002
    The EMGs should make a big difference. They should be a lot hotter and brighter and snappier. Also, they'll have growlier mids. EMGs have a very juiced up tone and usually totally change the sound of whatever instrument you install them in. Plus, EMGs are totally noise free.