1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will the MXR M81 drive a power amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pbass6811, Mar 9, 2016.

1. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Ok, I've looked through what I thought was most of the threads on the M81 and I never did find a straightforward answer. I even went to Dunlop's website and couldn't find it. So I tried to Google the phrase "will the MXR M81 bass preamp pedal drive a power amp" and got nothing that resembled an answer. I'm asking because I have enough gear left over to put together an "acoustic show/backup rig" so I don't hafta drag out my main rack for my low volume acoustic shows. I have a spare lightweight power amp and a few pedals to put on a board. It would be cool to be able to put a pedal pre on the board, but I need it to drive a Peavey IPR power amp. I know the Tone Hammer will, and I'm ok with getting one, but I like the size and the price of the MXR.

So, can the M81 drive a power amp? Thanks.

edit: Apparently, I need to clarify that I don't have an M81. If I had an M81, I promise I wouldn't have asked.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  2. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Have you tried it out yet? Just plug it in and see if it works, since you already have all the stuff.

3. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Umm, I don't have one. If I did, I wouldn't have asked, because I'd already know the answer...;)

4. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Sorry. From you post it sounded like you did.
    My bad

pbass6811 likes this.
  5. Aaron Mc

Aaron Mc

Jul 28, 2006
    Avondale, AZ
    I recently emailed this question to their customer service address. Customer service forwarded it to an engineer who replied "Yes".

I don't have the pedal or a power amp so I have no experience with it.

pbass6811 likes this.
  6. pbass6811

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    No worries...:thumbsup:

Well, that's a start. Thanks! I've got a spare power amp now, maybe I'll give it a go?

7. Aaron Mc

Aaron Mc

Jul 28, 2006
    Avondale, AZ
    Just read from a reviewer on Sweetwater who is driving a power amp with the M81 and is very pleased with the performance.

8. Considering its form factor, it seems as though this pedal has largely flown under the radar Gere at tb

9. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Really ?

Its been discussed as much or more than any other compressor pedal since it was released.

10. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    pbass6811 likes this.
  11. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member