1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will the Squier Deluxe Jazz bass preamp work with active pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bongostealth, Oct 16, 2013.

1. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I will install a pair of active EMG standard jazz pickups in my Squier Deluxe V bass. However, will the stock preamp work with active pickups? Would I have to change the volume and tone pots to 25k pots?

2. The only time preamps don't jive with active pickups is when they are designed to interact with the impedance of the coils. That's rather rare, however. I doubt that the preamp on a Squier would be anything special.

You will need 25k or 50k pots.

3. TBGFRED

TBGFRED Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Panama City Beach, FL
    am looking at such a config as I write this ... (EMG J, not JX, etc....

It works fine, with R-value changes that line6man indicated.

Mine exhibits a low noise floor and very little hiss even when treble maxed. That was unexpected considering the disparaging comments that some have made about the preamp quality (maybe pre assembly is shared with some Corts? - can't remember).

good luck.

f