Will the SX Musicman clones be passive or active?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by keyboardguy, Sep 13, 2005.

1. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Hi all,

Anone have info if the SX Musicman clones will be passive or active? I'm hoping for passive.

2. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    What's this? Essex MM clones? Tell me no.

Is there a link?
  3. I assume they would be passive.

In any event, I had a five string OLP MM5 Stingray clone that was V/V/T I believe and it sucked... that is until I put in a Carvin humbucker in place. The thing had such growly mids. It was nice. The playability was rather bad, though. Even with a good setup the action was still at wrist-injury levels, not to mention the poor fret work.

Ah well.
  4. from the web site I've seen they seem to have a battery box in the back of them. do a search in the Essex mega thread here and look for the parent company team____? website or a pic of the copy.
  5. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    agreed, the pics definitely show a battery box in the back.

while the electronics may be crap, I'm extremely thankful they're including them- it'll make putting in replacements a heckuvalot easier- and there's already a batty box on the back!
  6. I once compared a stingray 4, a S.U.B. stingray 4, and an OLP stingray 4 clone at the same time.

I actually preferred the OLP over the SUB...nothing stood up to the SR4, of course...

you say that even with a "good setup" that the action was at "wrist-injury levels"...excuse me, but how is this a "good setup"?

thanks for the info on the Carvin HB5 pickup...I was looking into getting an HB4 and replacing the jazz bridge pup on my Yammy RBX170 (of course, routing is required)...I wanted to know if these pups were any good...
  7. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    That thing is War and Peace. I'm not going in there without a road map.

Anyone got a photo link?
  8. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Kinda hard for a one pickup bass to have V/V/T controls isn't it? :smug:
  9. growlysound

Jul 7, 2005
    War and Peace. Dude, I almost pissed myself.

Here's a pic:

Attached Files:

10. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    no, they wired an individual volume control for each of hte coils in the humbucker...

a terrible idea- but hey, they tried.
  11. 20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    Any clue when SX is coming out with these? ...I'd def like to try one out.
  12. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    word is "maybe by christmas"
  13. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    Don't count on it having the 3+1 headstock, Musicman still owns the rights to that.
  14. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Really? How is that possible? I can understand owning the rights to a particular headstock curve shape (Ric, Fender), but not the 3+1 arrangement. You're probably right, but from a strictly legal standpoint, it seems a little silly.
  15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Silly doesn't seem to be the word I'd use... More like "absurd".
  16. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

There's also a 5-string Musicman clone pictured in the SX megathread from the parent company website (teamintlco.com):

5-string sx musicman

Now, how to convince the wife I need yet another bass . . . :D
  17. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Well. Would you look at that.

I'd heard there were Jim Deacon ones in the UK, but assumed they weren't made by Team International. I'm sure they'll be great beginners instruments...

18. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'd say the SX's are better than beginner instruments...but thats just me.
  19. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    No, it's not just you.

I started on one 15 years ago and have played a number of them over the years. They're fantastic instruments for the price.

They're every bit as good as, say, an average mexican Fender in terms of feel... if you have them set up well. The electronics are basic. The hardware is what you'd expect from that price bracket. As is the finishing.

They're quite... good. They're not brilliant.