Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will there ever be a band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MasterChief, Apr 24, 2004.

1. MasterChief

MasterChief

Feb 4, 2003
    Virginia
    Well, it all started in 5th grade. My best friend who just moved here and I wanted to make a band. During recess, we always made up songs, talked about music, etc. He got his first guitar and I got my first bass during the summer after 5th grade. We took lessons right away.

We grew up with each other. We love the same music. We have similar personalities. We never had a drummer. We practiced together a lot. He taught me stuff, I taught him stuff.

Well, we told one of our friends who used to watch us play all the time to start playing the drums. He bought a drum set a few months later after we talked him into it, and started playing. I moved to Australia. The drummer didn't play much and the guitarist didn't play much. Six months later, I moved back. I didn't like music anymore. I was too depressed all the time. (The move destroyed me and my life.)

Well, the guitarist moved during the summer after 8th grade. Now me and the drummer are in a band. The guitarist we have just seems out of place. The drummer and I share the same style. Without the guitarist who moved to Atlanta, we're not really a band.

If we had me, the drummer, and the guitarist, it would be perfect. I really want to be in a band with these guys. The drummer thinks the same. Maybe after high school we can be a band.

I'm not going to stop playing music if I can't be in a band. I love music and playing my bass.

What should we do? Has anyone else experienced this? I need advice . . .

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Wait it out, be patient. You will find a guitarist that fits, even if it's not the guy that moved to Atlanta.

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I agree. No one can say if you'll ever have that band again, but you'll definitely find a band.

BTW, are you into Halo, MasterChief?

:bassist:

4. But hey, who says it won't happen after high school? Be patient, as Blisshead said, and if it doesn't work out after high school, you could give it a shot again with the old guitarist.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    You will meet a ton more muscians in highschool. If you have a ready made rythum section that has been together for a few years then you will have your pick of the best guitarist in school. I play in a band with a good friend of mine. We first jammed when we were 11, we formed a band when we were 28, with my bro and another buddy. We all go back a lot of years. Our story is a lot similar to yours, keep at it, your young it will work out in the long run. But you and that drummer get tight and locked in when that right person comes along you'll be ready.