Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will these tubes survive in the cold?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-end, Dec 12, 2001.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    My little brother is getting a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier guitar head for christmas, and its being hidden in the attic. The attic is really cold, and I was concerned that this climate might be bad for a tube amp. Will the tubes be ok?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think they'll be ok.
    The cold won't be as damaging as sudden temperature changes.
    Make sure the amp has reached roughly room temperature before turning it on.

You can take the tubes out of course, just make sure you remember where each one sat.

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Well, with Mesa/Boogie amps, the tubes come individually wrapped + outside of the amp. I guess they should probably be O.K. since this thing was probably in a freezing warehouse anyway. Ill just remember to tell my brother to let it warm up to the standard 72ºF before turning on his amp.

4. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    jesus christ thats a nice christmas present

he should be quite the happy camper when he finds htat underneath the tree this year...at least i would be

you and your family rock for gettin it for him...youve earned.... \m/ the horns \m/

5. just out of curiosity, what cab is he going to run that through?

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    A Marshall 2x12 cab. He wanted a Marshall 4x12, but he could only get the 2x12 for portability reasons.

7. That's a nice setup. Now is the cab also a holiday gift, or something he already has?

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    He already has the cabinet. Why are you asking all these questions??? :confused:

9. Actually, i was just interested. I'm always interested in like gear and what not, so it was just my curiosity. :D

10. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    yeah its a nice rig, but its nothing compared to my SVT-4PRO / Mesa 4x10 setup :) :cool:

11. Contrary to popular belief... tubes cannot take cold.
    You must buy each tube a knit wool "cozy" so they don't get catch a cold.

12. hate to drag this out low end, but how old is your bro? What kinda tunes does he play? (I wish i had a little or older bro to jam with...)