1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Will they work together?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Donald Wormuth, Mar 4, 2021.

1. I'm new to all this. I've only ever had combo amps. Apparently I had an impede BA 115 HP 210 watts. Which doesn't work for playing the music style I play. I need smaller speakers for the attack I need.
    Ok, I'm looking for just a small bass head and cabinet. Well what I found is a Hartke 410 300 watt at 8ohns. And a Peavey century series 120 which is 100 wstt8 at 4ohms. Will they work together what will be the would be the output?

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  2. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    The cab (if in decent condition, original drivers, ect.) is a good cabinet.

I'd recommend a higher powered head though, something in the 200 to 300 or even 500 at 4 ohms watt range.
    Watch the T.B. Classifieds, for say a used G.K.MB-500, that'll give you 350 watts at 8 ohms, 500 at 4 ohms.

If memory serves, the Peavey Century is 120 watts at 4 ohms (?), so that would mean into that 8 ohm Hartke 410 you'd get around half that power, say 60 to 70 watts.
    If your wanting any clean low end at volume you'll need more head room.

The "rough" rule of thumb, whatever the amps 4 ohm watt rating is, you'll get half or maybe a little more at 8 ohms.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  3. That's what I thought. but I didn't think you would drop it all the way down to one third. I thought it'd be cut in half. Okay thank you

4. Ok I have Ampeg ba 1:15 HP

5. Okay, now I have an impact ba 115 HP. That has a BLT. The Ampeg puts out 210 Watts. Can I use that to that cabinet. Or would I need a powered cabinet. Ive only ever used combos I'm really pretty much beginner with all this. The Ampeg does real well but that 15-in speaker does not have the response. That I need for playing Heavy Metal. The really heavy fast stuff we play.

7. Okay, I have an Ampeg BA 115 combo amp. That puts out 210 Watts it has a balance line out. Can I use that those speakers? Or would I have to have a powered cabinet?

8. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

Does your Ampeg have a speaker out jack on the back for driving additional cabinets?
    It should say something like Ext. Spkr. on it.
    If it does, try plugging in the 8 ohm 410.
    That should give you your full 210 watts (with the combo into it's 8 ohm 15 your probably only getting 120 to 130 watts.)
    Then you'll have a full 210 watts into 4-10's and the 15, it might be what your looking for!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  9. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    You need to see if your amp has an Extension Speaker jack. Balanced line out won't do you any good trying to connect an external cab.

10. No no external speaker out. This is a good deal I really want to get it he doesn't have a head for me to test it. And he's delivering it to me I don't have head. Today at least run something from the headphone jack to it. Just too see if it works. He said it needs a little bit of work but it works. Because it just has some road wear. He's going to drive 170 miles bring it to me.for the price I can't beat it.

11. o no external speaker out. This is a good deal I really want to get it he doesn't have a head for me to test it. And he's delivering it to me I don't have head. Today at least run something from the headphone jack to it. Just too see if it works. He said it needs a little bit of work but it works. Because it just has some road wear. He's going to drive 170 miles bring it to me.for the price I can't beat it.

12. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Here’s a copy of your manual:
    https://ampeg.com/data/6/0a020a3f1440d5e0ba7b4d7bd9/application/pdf/Owner’s Manual - English .pdf
    The BA115 does not have a connection for an external cabinet.
    You could connect a powered speaker using the DI, but I don’t know if that would give you the tone you’re after. I’d recommend finding a bass head and cabinet.
    I agree with @shoot-r above. The Hartke 410 you mentioned might be a good start, but the Peavey Century 120 is far too underpowered to consider.

Matty Koff and EatS1stBassist like this.
  13. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Do not connect the headphone out jack to a speaker cab.

14. DanGroove

DanGroove Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Texas
    No, I own the BA115HP and it does not have a ext speaker jack and is in fact 220w. It has a 250w 4ohm 15" speaker and a compression driver horn in it, not an 8ohm speaker. The HP in those stands for High Power or something to that effect and it has much more volume / headroom than the non "HP" versions of that series.

OP, have you tried turning up the level on the horn in the amp to get more of the attack you want? You might also consider putting the style knob in position 4 which gives you an EQ bump at 2k. These may not work for you, but might be worth a try before replacing it.

15. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Noooo!! Do not line out to a speaker cab.

16. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Good luck with that! I wouldn’t.

17. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    As others have stated, you cannot test a cabinet by connecting the headphone output to it. Headphones have much higher impedence and headphone amps have milliwatt output.
    If delivery is underway, you are buying it on faith alone.
    Do you have a local music shop where the two of you can meet and try it out?

18. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've owned the Peavey Century head. Its not enough power at all.
    Good for a church band, no dice in a rock band what so ever.

And at 8 ohms you'll only be using about 60w from the head. You'll need a 4ohm load to get all the juice, but wont be enough.

19. sxaxsx and mikewalker like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021