Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will this be a good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5156246, Nov 5, 2000.

1. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    Germany
    Hi out there!

I'm goin to buy a Warwick Corvette 6-str. Bubinga, fretless.
    First of all: Does anyone know a reason why I should <B>NOT</B> buy it?

And when yes: What alternative do I have at the same price?

I will pay about $1060 for it. Is this a good price for a new instrument?

Or should I better go for a Corvette Pro with active sound control? This one would be around $1190. Is it worth to spend such an amount of money more for just an active bass?

Thanks for your comments :) !

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I checked http://www.basscentral.com cos thats the only US shop I know that does them. Their prices are similar.

I do know that the active upgrade for the Streamer std is 75 quid over here (1.4) I cannot find my calculator but its near the 100 dollars mark.

Hopefully someone stateside will give you a more comprehensive answer but I know how I feel if a post gets 'missed'.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The price, as far as I know, seems about right.

I think Warwick makes great basses, although I'd steer clear from the Streamer STD series. Corvettes are cool, though.

If it's new and it's your cup of tea, go for it.

Will C.:cool:

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    you could buy ut passive, and later buy a good outoard preamp. like the sadowsky or the fodera (never heard that one, but you can't go wrong with fodera).

5. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    If YOU like it...and are satisfied with the price...
    then no... I can NOT think of a reason to not buy it...:)

6. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    Germany
    Thanks all.

And Deynn, yes, I like it.

But I just wanted to know how's Warwick's reputation (especially the Corvette) because sometimes although you like the instrument many other persons had trouble with it. Thus you better steer clear from it.

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have had a Thumb Bolt-on for 3 yrs bought it as a 2nd bass and now its no.1

8. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

Aside from the visual similarity and bearing the same name, the Pro and the Std. are not the same bass with active elctronics.

some of the Std. Vettes sport an active preamp with 2 band eq, pan and vol while some sport the passive electronics having 2 band eq. and vol. only.

the active ones have a bypass push/pull knob so you can get the passive tone too, I think thats kinda beats the idea behind the passive vettes(I think they have a traditional single coil instead of the standard MEC double coil over one magnet "humbucking" pups).

the Corvette Pro is another story. it's not made of bubinga like the standard ones but actually has a Flamed maple A top over a swamp ash body(a' la' FNA and Jazzman models) and golden hardware (very beautyful but wont differ tonnaly).
    if you want a no-nonsense, no frills workhorse go for the Standards (active or passive). if expensive looks and the ash/active tone is what you are after then go for the Pro ones.