Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will this be enough? Eden WT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davygravy3, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Davygravy3

Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    Ok, I am looking at finally going from combo to amp and cabinet. I need a good deal of power and prefer tubes.

I think the Eden wt400 and the 2x12 cabinet (by eden) would be a good choice. Will that setup be loud? Sound good? and ....do the trick?

2. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Loud? Yup. Loud enough? Completely subjective. Sound good? Probably, but also completely subjective. Do the trick? Yes, more than one. It turns on AND off. ;)

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It won't be loud enough, and the tone will fairly suck. What you want is a WT-550 and a 4-ohm D-410XLT. That will be loud and suck less at the same time.

Everybody here knows that 12's are for guitars. Tens, the more the merrier, is what you want, need, and desire.

4. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i play a wt400 & d410t and it's loud enough for bars, clubs & all, specially coming from a combo. i think the tone is fine and it's affordable.

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    While id agree that the 410 will be louder, and would sound better to me, I know loads of people that use 12s for bass and are more than happy with the results. Matter of opinion.

Wow, I acually disagreed with Munji! :ninja:

6. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I used an Eden WT-500 with an XLT410 cabinet for several years as my primary gig rig (small,medium and large clubs/pubs in a reasonably loud R&B/Motown band). It was a great rig and I never ran out of volume - ever. But when I got tired of the 98 lb.cabinet I evolved to Euphonic cabs. I now have 2 CXL112's and so far haven't needed to use the second one in a gig. Now, the EA 12's are a very different animal than the Eden 12's but a pair of Eden 12's would provide more than sufficient volume. The bigger question for you is the preference, or not, of 12's versus 10's. Both have their advantages.

7. that must be a real bad organisation, and pa:)
    I've always gigged with my 160watts combo.only once I wasnt loud enough: the gig was outdoors,just the singer got pa

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, you and I agree. It's just that the folks who use the 12's hold incorrect opinions. Like the guy I sold my D-212XLT to. He loves the danged things, and they don't really sound half bad when he plays through it. I think it's because he uses a pick.

9. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    :confused: So youre saying that he can get 12s, because lots of people are happy with them, but they are wrong?

I hope im not following this, after all, it early in the morning over here. :oops:

10. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    is that munjibunji guy holy or something? $%(^@ him. let ur ears be the judge davygravy.

11. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    With respect to Monsieur Munji, I'm a big fan of 12s and though I do occasionally reach for a pick, most of my playing is fingerstyle.

Amazingly, we all manage to coexist. It boggles the mind...

I've got a WT300 head and a 4 ohm 212XLT. I've gone back and forth over the sound and posted the cab for sale a number of times but then I play through it again and I'm strangely pleased with it, so I've held onto it. I do find it to be plenty loud what with it's 4ohm rating and a high sensitivity as well as offering a good middle ground between 15s and 10s with a single 75lb. cab that fits into the back seat of my Honda. Worked well with my old rock band and works even better with my acid-jazz trio.

Bearing that in mind, if you've got the space for a 4x10 and the willingness/strength to move it, there's a lot to recommend them as well.

There are significant tonal differences though, so you'll want to spend some time in your local gear purveyor trying out everything you can.

J.

12. Davygravy3

Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    Well, I think the WT-400 is definetly the head for me. But you guys are doubting this 2x12, say I should either geta 4x10 or a 2x10 (I think)? Any clarification? Thanks

13. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    I'm definitely not doubting the 2x12. I've hung on to mine. I just think it's going to come down to a question of volume and tone. An Eden 410XLT pushes more air than a 212XLT. That being said, my 212XLT gets plenty loud for me and I like the sound of 12s and it's about 20lbs lighter than the 410. So for me, it works just fine.

J.

14. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    At the risk of giving Munji a heart attack, I play a WT-400 through a D-215 XLT. Absolutely love it - I play reggae in medium sized clubs with no PA support with volume to spare. Point being, into a 4 ohm load, and particularly into an Eden cab, the WT-400 should be more than enough volume (for most situations, that is). As far as the cab goes, if you dig 12s, the 212xlt is a great choice. I dig 12s, and have never met an Eden cab I didn't like, so take all this with a grain of salt.

Regards,
    Dave

15. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Do Eden make a 412?

They might not, but its just a thought, that'll certainly cover the volume and air pushing hangups about 12s, but then again the weight and size may be a drawback.

Of course, the biggest drawback might be that this cab is fictional, for some reason, I cant get onto the Eden site.

Jack

16. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Eden, to my knowledge, doesn't make a 412. Aguilar does, as does SWR, but zoiks...do we really need a 412?. It would help if we knew the situation in which this equipment will be used? Clubs? Bars? Concert halls? Stadiums? The Grand Canyon?

You know, if you wait long enough, I'll probably put my 4ohm 212xlt up for sale again...I do it like clockwork every so often. One of these days I might actually follow through with it:)

J.

17. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK

Eh, worth a shot. :p

Why not use a 412, those guitarist people do, so why cant we? But this is derailing the thread somewhat if Eden dont make a 412.

Edit = Typo

18. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    True, true, no reason not to use a 412 if that's you're thing. I was just wondering if maybe we weren't getting a little ahead of ourselves suggesting something that might be too large. Of course, I'm a big fan of small, efficient gear, so I might be biased. The 212xlt is the largest cabinet I own and at 75lbs, it's also the heaviest, which, considering the weight of a lot of larger cabinets, isn't all that heavy (I'm thinking 410s and anything by AccuGroove here).

All my gear also has to pass the Honda test. If you've got the means and the will to use larger gear, then go for it.

Cheers,
    J.

19. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    Try this: http://www.eden-electronics.com

20. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Eden WT400 and Eden D410XLT would be louder.
    Tons of low end if you like it too.

If you can, Eden WT550 :D