Will this be enough??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Badtown, Apr 22, 2001.

1. Badtown

Apr 22, 2001
    Midwest USA
    I've heard nice things about Carvin, and I finally have enough money to get a new amp. I'm THIS close to getting the PB200. 15" speaker, 160 watts. This being said, I have a Trace Elliot that's 12" with 60 watts. It can barely keep up.

With a punk/nerd rock band in mind, do you think the PB200 will be able to keep up with the rest of the band? The guitarist has a 30 watt Marshall and the drummer is crazy. This will be a practice amp and a monitor on stage.
  2. How loud is your drummer, how big are the venues you play, and how loud do you want to be? (I have a 200 watt bassman that I am using as my main amp for "gigs"...id say 160 is plenty for practice/monitor...)
  3. 160 is good for gigging.. I don't know what everyone is talking about needing at least 300 watts... I never turn my amp higher than 2! (it's 240watts with my 2x12 cab)
  4. it's enough for me. as long as your guitarists aren't bashing out power chords with amps dimed. by the way, awesome username.
  5. Badtown

Apr 22, 2001
    Midwest USA
    thanks for those opinions! You don't know how glad i am that i won't have to get some more money for an amp bigger than that. (hypothetically speaking. I know you can't have too much bass..) 3 months of shoveling driveways ain't easy.

and oh yeah, Op Ivy lives!
  6. *breaks out singing* "NO, no more, NO, bad town, NO MORE BAD TOWN..." *Repeats many times and trails of incoherently...
  7. *gets the leg ready and waits for the prime moment to give a swift kick* ;) :D hahaha
  8. The reason for having more wattage, eg; 300+, is not so much for volume as for punching out the notes on a low B string. As a rule of thumb, more power = better tone (on all strings). Good example; an SWR 900 sounds way better than a 350 at any volume.
  9. AWWW C'MON! You know you love that song...*wearing OpIvy Shirt right now*
  10. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    To the topic, guys. :rolleyes:
  11. Yea, 200 watts is plenty. I play in venues with up to 500 people with my GK 400RB, with the -10db pad on, and people still complain it is too loud.

12. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with this word "enough." What does it mean and is it significant? ;)

As a long-time bassplayer, I had the word "enough" removed from my vocabulary. I'll NEVER have enough power, I'll ALWAYS want more. Bwuh-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA...(maniacal laughter continues).

Seriously, for all the reasons stated earlier (headroom, etc.), I wouldn't go with less than 200 watts and would probably go with at least 300. Not only will this give you headroom, but you won't outgrow your amp so quick -- the day will come when you're guitarist shows up with a Marshall stack, and if all you have is that 160-watt jobby, you're gonna go "whut-oh!".