Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will this break my neck or neck bolts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Aug 23, 2002.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I'v got a bolt on with a maple neck, 4 bolts. Its a five string, 34 inch scale. I have fodera 40-120 guage strings on it, and it was originally tuned to beadg. Since its a crappy bass and has a 34 inch scale, the b was always floppy. I tuned the strings to eadgc, and the bass now plays extremely tight. I mean EXTREMELY. Is this ultra string tension going to hurt something, because its a lot quicker to play now, and i'd rather keep it this way

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The bolts will be ok, but the neck relief will increase considerably.

The strings might break much easier too.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    you need different gauge strings.. those gauges aren't meant to be used at such high tensions..

4. If you've got a .120 B string now tuned to E, that's 3 steps up! That's putting insane tension on the neck, IMHO. Get a six sting set and just don't use the B string. You may have to get a new nut for the strings to seat properly. I'm not an expert, but, I really don't think any strings were meant to be tuned that high above their intended pitch.

Mike J.

5. Jewels is right, find a set with a lighter gauge and you'll see immediate improvement in the tension. You'll probably have to get a setup in the process since you are not only changing gauges (nut, saddle work), you will be changing tension (truss rod adjustment).

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i have a 110 flatwound E and the neck releif isn't so bad, but the neck also has graphite rods, and it is pretty chunky.