1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will this cable provide Phantom Power??

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by AllenBass7, Sep 19, 2008.

1. AllenBass7

AllenBass7

Jan 27, 2008
    Chaska,MN
  2. stranger0

stranger0

May 10, 2007
    the cable doesnt provide phantom power, the unit does, you just use a standard xlr

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    That cord is a XLR to a 1/4" TS (mono) plug and will not supply Phantom power.

Phantom power is provided by using any standard XLR to XLR mic cord connected to a mixer (or mic preamp/interface) thats equipped to supply Phantom power.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The other guys are right. What type of mixer do you have? Does it not have standard XLR inputs for mics? If it doesn't, I doubt it has phantom power either. If your mixer has only quarter-inch inputs for mics, you should buy a dynamic mic, which wouldn't require phantom power. The old reliable SM-58 is a great starter mic that you can keep forever. It's the most widely-used professional mic on earth, used by pros at every level.

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, now that I've looked at the mic, it looks like you're planning to use it in the studio rather than on stage. While their literature says it's good for a stage mic, it's not really. It won't stand up to the rigors of frequent rough handling like an SM-58 will.

If you are indeed going to use it in the studio, then it sounds like your mixer might not be up to snuff if it doesn't have XLR inputs. Can you give us a little info about the intended use of the gear and what kind of mixer you have?

[​IMG]

6. AllenBass7

AllenBass7

Jan 27, 2008
    Chaska,MN
    well i'm on a minimal budget so i was hoping to plug the microphone strait into my computer's microphone jack using a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter

but if that won't work i'm willing to spend whatever it takes to get it up and running well

7. AllenBass7

AllenBass7

Jan 27, 2008
    Chaska,MN
    oh forgot to mention one thing

i'm planning on using this microphone to record my solo work to make a CD
    using it for guitar bass keyboard vocals etc...

8. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
  9. AllenBass7

AllenBass7

Jan 27, 2008
    Chaska,MN
    one more thing...

i have a Digitech Jamman and i know that it has a XLR mic input built in it.
    could i use the jamman as my preamp/mixer thing and send the output of the jamman into my computer?

that seems like it would work perfectly...
    i think

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Jamman does not provide phantom power. If you are really really not going to buy a preamp or mixer that provides phantom power, you have only two options:
    1) get a mic that does not require phantom power
    2) get a phantom power supply box- Rolls, Whirlwind, and ART are three brands I know of that make inexpensive boxes that provide phantom power.

11. AllenBass7

AllenBass7

Jan 27, 2008
    Chaska,MN
    well it sounds like i'm pretty much out of costless options

i'll start looking at mixers and power supply boxes
    thanks guys

12. You could get a phantom supply box and work around the phantom problem, or get an inexpensive mixer with phantom...

If you want decent audio quality and don't want to be making another post here soon about how you can't get a good sounding take, I'd forget trying to use the mic in on your laptop and get an inexpensive interface. Something like the Line6 Toneport UX2 would work. It also comes with some good software.

Another option is to get a USB mic. Blue makes a good one. You could also get a Zoom H2 and use it as a USB mic when you aren't using as a stand alone recorder.

13. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Samson makes real inexpensive and easy to use mixers that have phantom power capabilites.
    A 10-channel mixer (MDR1064) is $150 new and can be found for $50-$75 used.
    It has 2-track (L/R) output, so you can run that out to your computer.

I know they're not top of the line, but it works great for me at home.

14. AllenBass7

AllenBass7

Jan 27, 2008
    Chaska,MN
    i bought a Behringer tube ultragain mic200 earlier today
    so now i just gotta get some cables i think

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    That should work. Be careful not to let the smoke out. I just hope they improved the circuits over the dbx unit they ripped off ... it's a noisy beast.

16. Here we go again :D

17. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    well, he could have a point. also, a lot of those boxes (and mixers, too) cannot possibly supply a full 48v phantom power, and that is doubly true as one tries to power multiple mics. you cant make a cheeseburger out of a bun and a piece of lettuce, you know?

the flip of that is that most of the cheap chinese condensors do not require much in the way of phantom power. but dont think a little art box is going to have very much success with a neumann or something.

18. AllenBass7

AllenBass7

Jan 27, 2008
    Chaska,MN
    alright cool

i feel like a have a great 1st microphone setup... or just a great mic setup in general.

thanks guys!

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Seriously, I think what you've got will work fine.