Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will this combo work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Volk, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    This will be the first head and cab I've bought, as previously I just went with a combo. I'm wondering if a ABM 500 EVO II Head rated at 575 watts will go well with a Schroeder 1212 rated at 1000 watts RMS. Since I've never really tried this before I don't know how the cab wattage/head wattage thing works, but it seems to me like I'd be underpowering the cab. Anyone have any opinions/advice?

2. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Really depends on the ohmage. You probably want to make sure that head has switchable ohms, because that way you can add later even if they match up now.

3. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
  4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    That amp can safely run at 8 or 4 ohms. "Switching" isn't necessary. That would probably be a good compact setup.
    I have no experience with the Shroeders, but the Ashdowns are great sounding heads.

5. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
  6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'm sure that would be a nice rig. You don't have to be concerned with underpowering the cab. It won't harm anything.

7. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    I'm not so much worried about harming it as I am worrying about buying this setup and then GASin for a more powerful head later and regretting what I bought.

8. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I had the same concern before I gigged with mine but I send 500 watts into my 1212 and it is very, very loud.
    I seriously doubt you'll have a problem with volume.

Of course, it all depends on the size of your gig.
    How big of a gig are you trying to gear up for?

Chad

9. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I have the 300 watt ABM and am in the procces of getting a 1210. Jorg has assured me that the two will work fine and will be louder than my current set up (MAG C-115 cab)
    I must admit since i found out about the 1210 i wish i had gone for a louder head (maybe the 575) but for what i need the 300 is fine and the bigger heads cost more money
    . ive gigged for the last 2 years with a MAG 307 C-115 and never had to turn it all the way up so my new rig will be slightly louder (i hope) but with a much better tone (again, i hope)
    The schroeders are very efficient and dont need a lot of power to make them sing.
    The ABM sound is fantastic by the way.

Dave.

10. The Schroeder's are very efficient (i.e., loud per watt), and since the 1212 is 4ohm, you will be getting all the power out of the Ashdown. I would think that combo would sound great.