1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will this cover my gig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rocks, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    I have my first gig in over 25 years coming up soon and I'm a bit anxious about it. The gig will be in a bar that holds about 100-150 people. My rig is a 130 watt Trace Elliot head into a Trace Elliot 1518 cab (single 15) and a 90 watt Hartke Kickback combo with a single 15" I'm running the dual outputs from my tuner to the two amps. From what I understand at this gig all the bass will come from the stage. The TE head and cab is more than enough at practice. Both guitarists have 4x12's cab's and 50 watt heads (one Marshall, one Fender) So basically I have two 15" speakers, 130 watts of TE power on one, and 90 watts of Hartke power on the other, will it be enough?

Also, I've read in many threads that Trace Elliot watt ratings tend to be on the low side, suggesting that they put out more than they are rated at, is this true?

2. Does this venue mic the drums and the amps? Most will.

3. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    This one won't be, only the vocals are going through the PA. Upcoming gigs will have us all running through the PA, but this first one is going to be stage volume.

EDIT: I should also add that I play with a heavy bottom end, I like a nice rich deep bass, not much high end and just enough mids to cut through. I'm looking at setting the TE up to sound great on its own, then turning up the Hartke and adjusting its tone to round things out. I'll be stacking the Hartke on top of the TE cab.

4. Depends a bit on what type of music your band plays.
    I would say for Rock it might be a close call, but for Jazz it might be fine.

Also, make sure your fellow bandmates do not run their amps on 10.

Nice that you are starting to gig again, one of the greater joys in life!

cheers,
    Mich

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think you'll be fine.

6. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    Its going to be rock. I can probably add another 15" cab to move more air.

7. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    +1. However, watch that "heavy bottom end, nice rich deep bass" thing. It usually doesn't work too well in a live mix, and will also make your amps struggle a lot sooner than normal.

8. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    Well, I have a chance to pickup a Peavey Session Bass head real cheap, its 200 watts and I have an Ampeg cab with a single 18" that I can use with it. I think combined with my TE it should be more than enough. I'll leave the Hartke at home.

9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    With only 100 to 150 people, IMO, your band won't need to be overwhelmingly loud.

If you haven't been by the bar to hear other bands, you might want to check in with the owner to find out what he/she expects as far as band volume goes and work from there.

I mean, the volume should be enough for the band to sound good but not so ear blasting that the bar customers can't hear each other shout.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nah, in that small a place, a B-15 would cover it if your band has a good balance and doesn't get into volume wars. I think you'd be fine with the Trace rig by itself for that small a joint. I used to do pretty loud gigs on a 100w amp into a 15".