Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will this damage your speaker cones??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Aug 31, 2004.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I've heard various things about how you transport your cabinetry.

One, is that if you drive around/carrry your cabs on their backs, that it will eventually damage the speaker cones as they will bounce and fall back into themselves, by ripping the material. Because of this, I quit putting my cabs on their backs for transport years ago, and always set them on their sides. But now that I have my Mesa 6x10, getting it up in the truck on it's side is a real pain, instead of getting more leverage by laying it flat and just pulling that way.

Two, this is all BIG-time BS. Speakers are meant to take damage, and just having your speaker cab on it's back is hardly going to do anything to damage the speakers themselves.

Any real-world/factual experience/thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,
    RSB

2. I can't answer your question completely, but I can say I have never heard of this before and none of my cabs have ever sustained damage during transport for 20 years. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Thanks for the input already. I'd never heard it reported as fact, but just anyone with real-world experiences (like yours) is appreciated.

This will definitely help now in the load-in/load-out of my new cab! :D

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I haven't been transporting big cabs for a long time so I don't have real world experience but just from a logical point of view I can't see how setting a cab on it's back will damage the speakers.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1
    ya wanna know what will screw with your drivers? - water - (rain, beer, etc)

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Awesome stuff.

Glad to put that to rest then.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep it's BS.

I had someone once telling me that with the speaker lying on it's back, the speakers could be damaged by hitting bumps in the road, because the bumps made the speakers move too fast for the suspension to handle. I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair. That's like saying you can drill through concrete with your fingernail.

8. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    Are you saying that the car vibration doesn't do any harm to the cabs?
    What about electronics? Amps, premps...?

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's completely different. Solder joints, especially those subjected to temperature changes, aren't designed to move like speakers are. I carry all my electronics in cases that have some sort of vibration absorbing material.

10. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    I couldn't imagine that bumps on a road could make your speakers move more than when you're playing say slap bass with the volume right up.

11. Yep, that's nonsense. If your speakers' suspensions can take that they're total crap....:D

I've been transporting speakers of all descriptions in everything from ATV trailers to tractor trailers for years and the only damage I've ever seen is some shifted magnets on some 18" drivers after the semi that was carrying them got blown off the highway.....

12. If you're really worried about the speaker cone moving around and suffering damage, here's something you might try: insert a shorted plug into the socket of the cab, or short the speaker inputs (binding posts) together. The way this works is that a speaker coil, moving in a magnetic field, will generate an EMF across the speaker input, and shorting the input will tend to dampen the movement of the cone. Hey, I use shorting plugs with my cabs - I get weird looks, but I get those anyway (see my pic) ;)

Hope this helps -
    - Wil

13. I would think that putting it on its side would be worse than putting it on its back especially for the voice coils as side to side movement could be very bad.

14. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've seen a few dislocated magnets, and even a few dislocated speakers. Look at the way most drivers are mounted. The mounting screws/bolts are more likely to shear in the lateral plane, at least in my experience. In any case, properly securing the cab is way more relevant than its orientation, eh?

15. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal

Do you think you are damaging your cab by putting it on it's side on a car's trunk (with a soft cover)?

16. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    i blow speakers so fast they rarely make it to the car... :crying: :crying: :crying:

17. Exactly.

I have seen lots of mangled drivers, but pretty few attributable to transportation. I dropped a Meyer MSL-3 off a 6 foot stage once.... the impact sheared the magnets off both 12s and cracked the horn throat off. The cab itself remained intact, amazingly enough.