Will this do? first bandsaw / does this look ok?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ted13, Apr 19, 2005.

1. ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    hey im new to the world of cutting. theres a 9" bandsaw on sale locally i'm thinking of getting to cut body shapes and headstocks. do you guys think this will do for cutting a few bodies a year?

Powerful 2.5A, single-speed 2,200-sfm ball-bearing induction motor
    Includes mitre gauge and flexible lamp
    Rack-and-pinion table tilt adjustment
    Built-in dust shoot
    Large ribbed aluminum table tilts 0 to 45° right
    Quick release blade tension control knob
    Cutting capacity 3-1/8" @ 90°

i know alot of people use scroll saws to cut headstocks but i'd like to have 1 tool to do both. i'm thinking of also using a robosander on my drillpress for final shaping. does this all sound ok? thanks for your input in advance!
  2. M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    It's small, I had about the same size one for a while and it worked fine. I have since upgraded to a 14".

3. 2.5A is less than 1/4 hp. That's real small for doing hardwoods. And if it's not powerful enough, you get a lot of wander with the blade. My 14" Rigid is 13A and 1 hp and I could use an even more powerful version.
  4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It sounds vaguely like a Ryobi I once had. The Ryobi was okay with a new, sharp blade, but the blades dull quickly and as Hambone said, when they do, that 1/5 hp motor (or whatever it was) gets bogged down and the blade wanders like nobody's business.

Long story short: it will do most of what you want but you will feel its inadequacies almost right out of the gate and be thinking "how can I get the [money/space/permission] to get a 14" saw in here?"
  5. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Or find out what the max voltage and ampere rating of that motor is, stick in a smaller transformer (if there is one) and burn that baby up! :grin: