Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will this do? first bandsaw / does this look ok?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ted13, Apr 19, 2005.

1. ted13

ted13

Mar 12, 2004
    montreal quebec
    hey im new to the world of cutting. theres a 9" bandsaw on sale locally i'm thinking of getting to cut body shapes and headstocks. do you guys think this will do for cutting a few bodies a year?

Powerful 2.5A, single-speed 2,200-sfm ball-bearing induction motor
    Includes mitre gauge and flexible lamp
    Rack-and-pinion table tilt adjustment
    Built-in dust shoot
    Large ribbed aluminum table tilts 0 to 45° right
    Quick release blade tension control knob
    Cutting capacity 3-1/8" @ 90°

i know alot of people use scroll saws to cut headstocks but i'd like to have 1 tool to do both. i'm thinking of also using a robosander on my drillpress for final shaping. does this all sound ok? thanks for your input in advance!

2. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    It's small, I had about the same size one for a while and it worked fine. I have since upgraded to a 14".

3. 2.5A is less than 1/4 hp. That's real small for doing hardwoods. And if it's not powerful enough, you get a lot of wander with the blade. My 14" Rigid is 13A and 1 hp and I could use an even more powerful version.

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It sounds vaguely like a Ryobi I once had. The Ryobi was okay with a new, sharp blade, but the blades dull quickly and as Hambone said, when they do, that 1/5 hp motor (or whatever it was) gets bogged down and the blade wanders like nobody's business.

Long story short: it will do most of what you want but you will feel its inadequacies almost right out of the gate and be thinking "how can I get the [money/space/permission] to get a 14" saw in here?"

5. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Or find out what the max voltage and ampere rating of that motor is, stick in a smaller transformer (if there is one) and burn that baby up! :grin: