1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will this harm my new cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Huntingdonhavoc, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Hello all, used to be a member years back and just got back into playing a month ago. My current rig is a peavey 4x12 400watt @ 4ohm, and head is a seymore duncan research (yeah strange) that runs 400w at 4 ohms and 600 at 2ohms. Both are pretty old, very used and I would like to upgrade both as money allows. I was going to purchuse an eden 4x10 xlt in 8ohms this weekend and for the moment will be running the same seymore head into it. Should I be worried that the cab is 700w rms at 8ohms yet the head is only putting out 400w. I read on another thread that underpowering the cab can result in problems and didn't want to damage my new cab.
    Many thanks for helping out a novice.

2. Don't sweat underpowering the cab, as long as you're not having to crank the amp to 11 to get it loud enough for what you're playing. If you start clipping the amp, then you have problems.
    If you get the new cab and you find yourself having to turn the amp way up just to keep up, it's time for a new amp. Other than that, you should be golden.
    C7

3. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If the head is 400watts at 4 Ohms, it will likely run around 250 watts at 8 ohms. You not likely to hurt the head or the cab unless you continually run the amp into distortion. This could happen because you are trying to get the rig to a loud enough volume to be heard in an average rock band. For that I think you will find this set up barely adequate.