Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

will this have adequate volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yossarian, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I'm getting a Peavey Max 700 and 410TVX (sorry I'm posting about this alot, but I want to be sure of everything). So I'm wondering, playing in a punk band that is quite loud, is this going to cut it alone? I plan to add a 115 BVX later, but after my ampeg B-2R fiasco, volume worries me. Will the 410TVX alone with the Max 700 be loud enough for practice and gig (bars and such, smaller) situations?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, in fact that rig should be easily able to deafen you. Enjoy.

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well if you get the 410 in 4 ohms and hook it up to the max700 thats 475 watts of power right there.....i rest my case :bassist:

4. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    oh yeah, the 410TVX I'm getting is 4 ohms. Alright then, thanks! Sorry, it may seem like a dumb question, but that B-2R I had was running 350 watts at 4 ohms and it was weak. Weak I say, weak.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My guess would be your amp will be plenty loud. If you need more volume in the future, simply another 4-10" or a 1-15".

Don't forget your earplugs!!! ;)

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I agree, I don't know what it is about Ampeg's heads, either. :confused: They have a fantastic tone, but I compared the volume of an SVT4 to my G-K2000RB in bridge-mono; The G-K was noticeably louder IMHO. I also compared it in stereo-mode, same thing. I said the heck with it and I returned it. I've since switched to a stereo power amp/tube preamp. :cool:

Maybe G-K's EQ voicing 'tricked' my ears, but that old 2000RB head could make your pantlegs flap! I tried each head through various SWR & Ampeg cabs, the G-K always seemed noticeably louder.

And no offense to Ampeg owners(which I still am!). I adore the Ampeg tone, but I haven't had too much success at getting the volume I want from their 'New Generation' heads, probably just me. :eyebrow:

But the loudest, most awesome-sounding head I ever played through proudly said 'Ampeg-SVT' and it was made in the early 70's. One day, I'll own one. :)