Will this help my volume?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Dec 9, 2001.

1. I am thinking of getting one of the MXR or whatever brand it is....one of those gain pedals that cost like 65 bucks. I like the sound of my new ibanez bass, but the output from it is low(sr400). Will this gain bossting pedal work to boost my signal between the bass and the amp? It says that it is good for boosting guitar signals etc to change between solos, lead, and rhythem work....WIll this do the trick for me?
  2. also, is it bad to plug an active bass into the high or passive input on your bass head? I think it really helps so i dont haveta push teh amp as hard.(my ibanez has active pre-amp...but againm, the out put is low.)
  3. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Should this be in "Effects"?
  4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
  5. I have a brand new battery....the bass just has lower output than most others....the P-ups are passive, but the pre-amp is active. Would changing the pickups increase my output, or what would need replacement?
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    If you like the way the bass sounds, don't change the pickups just to get higher output.

1. There might be a trim control on the electronics to adjust the overall output

2. Why do you need higher output? What I mean is, why can't you just turn up the amp?
  7. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I think you just need a more powerful amp. Ibanez basses have sufficient output.
  8. my ibanez SR405 was VERY quiet. it was half the volume of my friend's bass under exact same conditions. the preamps are just really poor quality.
    i replaced all the electronics with bartolini (pickups and preamps) and not only do i get a better sound, but there's a lot more volume, too. i completely overpowered everyone else in the band with the bass when i first plugged it in (eden wt400 and 4X10 cab) when before i was struggling to just get heard.
  9. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    This baffles me. If the output of the bass is low, you can turn up the amp. The pre-amp stage of a decent head (eden fitting that description) should have more than enough gain.

Now, the Bartolinis might have also changed the tonal character of your bass, which I could see making you cut through more (they probably have more mids than the stock Ibanez stuff).
  10. it wasn't just tone, though. with the old pickups and a peavey 8X10 cab (4ohm), i had the gain and volume both set at about 1 o'clock to be heard decently. with the bartolini's in and a 410XLT cab (8 ohm) i was completely and massively overpowering the guitarist AND drummer with both knobs set to 1 o clock. not only a tone change and mid change but a serious jump in volume, too.
    like with the old ibanez electronics, i could set my amp at 12 o 'clock on both knobs, and play mine to hear one sound, then plug in any other bass and they'd be about twice as loud under the same conditions. same cord, same settings, same cab, different bass. the ibanez was just quiet.
  11. MrWrOnG
    How much did it cost you to replace the pickups and preamp with the bartolinis?

Did you haveta have any rewiring done?

Also, where could i find nice pickups to replace the PJ configuration on my bass?

What are some p-ups that have good defined sound, but are warm and punchy as well?

Any suggestions on replacements and how much they cost would be great!
  12. check some things :

1) how long is your cable ?
    Cables have resistance; the longer your cable, the more signal gets lost. try using a shorter cable as a test.

2) Broken cable ?

3) are your contacts dirty ?
    Grab a little can of contact-spray, take out your pre-amp, and clean the pots and jack with the contact spray. it does miracles for old(er) basses.
    Do the same with your amp, b.t.w.