Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will this hurt my amp?...Bass and Keyboards thru hi and low inputs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Mar 28, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    We recently added a keyboard player to my band. They keyboard player doesnt have an amp. I suggested that he plug into my low input jack while i stay plugged into the high input jack on my AI Clarus.

I am not sure if this is a one channel amp or not. I guess it probably is. Besides losing power that i would have w/o the keys plugged in, is there any possibility of this damaging my amp? I dont mind having less power at rehearsals, but not at gigs.

thanks!

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I dunno; that can be a lot of lows. What's your rig?

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Why not have the keyboard player plug into the PA, or buy his own amp, or both?

If he just has to play through your amp, tie his left hand behind his back. :cool:

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Sharing an amp seldom gives good results. What happens is that neither one of you can isolate the sound of his own instrument. Have him plug into the PA for throw, and get even a small amp for onstage to hear what he's doing.

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Bass amps have it pretty rough to start with, and the keyboard can cover a lot of range. I wouldn't do it. In my experience two different instruments plugged into both imputs at the same time may not do damage, but will cause more stress, and wear things out alot faster.

6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Interesting. None of you have responded in a favourable way. This leads me to believe its not a good idea to share the amp.

BTW, i am using a AI Clarus 300 with a EA Wizzy 1-12. The bass is a Geddy Jazz.

I dont think the keys should use the PA because the Pa is barely powerful enough to handle the lead and back-up vocals. Adding keys to the PA would mean the vocals would suffer and thats not good.

I guess he will just have to rent an amp. The rehearsal place charges $4 a nite, but that adds up fast. He rents the keyboard too so thats $8 a nite. Oh well. Guess he should buy one then. Lord knows i have spent enough on my gear, and as mentioned, I certainly dont want to wear my gear out faster.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For practice, as long as you don't have volume wars its okay to plug in the bass and keyboard. Don't do it at gigs where you have to turn up the volume. For some songs in my band our guitarist picks up a bass and I keyboard. I just use my backup head with half of my cabs for the keyboard, or plug into the PA when we have one.

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Be real careful doing this. I blew a bass amp by running a keyboard through it. Bass speakers aren't usually intended to take the kind of long sustained sounds a keyboard produces. At low volume it'd be OK, but higher up you could hurt your cones.

Also you will have the same levels on both instruments, makes it tough to mix.

Tell you keyboardist to get his own gear.

9. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    i surf on your question, to push it deeper. What about a rythm box in the low input, with the bass in the high ? damagable for the amp ? :meh:

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You've brought up an important point. Unless you're playing to rooms with less than 50 seats you should have everything going through the PA, with the exception of your bass in rooms of perhaps less than 100 seats. You simply cannot get a good balanced sound otherwise. I'd say that a better PA should be your top priority.

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yes. Drums use the widest variety of frequencies, some of the upper and lower extremes may hurt your speaker(s) provided your amp is able to reproduce them.

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    My band has a crappy PA, and my amp works just fine for most gigs, even outside ones. My main rig is a Trace V4 through a Henry 8x8 and Kustom 215. Of course, we have to run the keyboard through the house PA for bigger gigs.

13. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I don't think your amp's health is in danger, but your sound is. A keyboard often plays in the same note ranges as the bass guitar, meaning that sometimes you will have competing notes in the same ranges which equals = mud.

You will also be EQing your amp for the sound you like which probaly isn't a good EQ for the keyboard. As an extended range instrument that plays many differnet types of patches (sounds), most keyboards are EQ'd fairly flat I think.

14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Years and years ago, in my youth I fried "something" in my bass amp by having a too-hot keyboard signal run through the input section.

You provide your own gear, he should as well. Everybody should pull his own weight, and provide his own gear.

Ask youself this: If he uses your stuff and something happens where YOUR stuff no longer works, how will you feel? Will you wish he just took care of providing his own stuff then? Odds are yes.

What does that tell you now?

15. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I use a bass v-amp so i am not concerned about the eq. Nevertheless, I am going to decline his use of my amp from now on.

I am not going to take any chances with my gear. My rig is exactly what I want as it suits my needs perfectly. No GAS here! Well,.... maybe for a new bass, hehe.