Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

will this hurt my amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lewibassist, Sep 24, 2003.

1. hiya all i hav just bought a warwick profet IV and this is 400 watt and i bought a warwick 4x10 which is 300 watt and im lookin got buy a warwick 1x15 witch is 400 watt i know just with the 400 watt head and the 300 watt cab i cant turn up full because the amp is more powerfull but if i got the 1x15 aswell would i be able to turn up full and not blow or affect my amp in any way im sorry if this is a dum question

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You'll be fine with the wattages, however you didn't say what the impedance is on the cabs and the minimum rating on the amp. THAT is what we need to know . . . .

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The question isn't nearly as dumb as your lack of punctuation. If you're trying to communicate with us, throw in a period here and there so we know where the sentence ends. Questions end with a question mark, and sentences begin with a capital letter. If you don't learn proper grammar, you're destined to live by the phrase, "Did you want that super-sized, sir?"

4. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    hey munjibunga, maybe lewibassist first language isnt English, lay off a little bit til you know the whole story. With a little effort we all understood what he was saying. Im not saying its wrong to say your confused and someone phrasing is tough, but the way you did it was completely innappropiate. I have a speech impediment and its a ass when people get mad at you because you dont sound as clear as they like. People need to get off there high horse that everything should be easy for them and they shouldnt have to bend over for anyone. Unless you learn to make concessions in order to connect with someone else... your destined to live a bitter life, locked up in only the experiences served to you.

anyways.... whats the min. impendence of your amp and the impendence of the cabs you want too add.

5. hiya im sorry bout my grammer could u lay of me a bit i dont get a chance to go on the net mutch and when i doo i hav to be quick.im sowi

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, let me ask you this: Would lewibassist's life be better or worse if he learned to write English properly?

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Better. But he didn't ask for advice about improving his life. If he wanted that, I imagine he'd ask elsewhere. Let me ask you this: would lewi's actual question be answered more effectively if you gave him specific advice on cabs and amps or if you just lectured him about his English skills?

8. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    the profet 4 is rated at 4 ohms, the 4x10 and 15' are 8ohms.

So lewibassist:

Pluk iour amp tis wai :

410 intoo amp
    115 intoo amp too.

Lik tis U should keep the rigt impedance.

9. YES two 8 ohm cabinets will give you an impedence of 4 ohms. This should not hurt your amp if it will handle a 4 ohm load. I hope this helps you.

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Wow munjibungie you have an awful attitude. Why would you even bother to reply to the post if all you have is abrasive comments about someones shortcomings? Do you have any useful advice? Total hyper elite members should know everything...

Lewi: You should not have a problem connecting both cabs or either one standalone to your amp. Sounds like you have a nice setup, keep slappin!!!

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    He's more likely to get meaningful responses if he uses readable English. There are a lot of folks in here who will ignore him just because he's too lazy to put a little punctuation in his posts. I don't go for this "I don't have time to punctuate" business. While you may perceive me as grumpy, I am truly saddened by the state of our young people's education these days. But rather than just grump about it, I volunteer to go into classrooms and teach workplace skills and promote education in science and engineering.

We're well on our way to a disaster in this country resulting from poorly-educated young people and a dearth of people educated in technical fields. The world is getting more technical every day, and we have fewer and fewer people who will be able to cope with it. Superstition is becoming the only way for people to "know" anything, because you can just believe what you want, with no rational justification.

So, unless you will forgive me for holding lewibassist and others to a slightly higher standard, I will gladly bear the burden of being that a-hole who speaks out against illiteracy.

12. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Regarding the state of education and language skills, you're preaching to the choir. I work with words for a living, and I have some idea how bad the prevailing standard can be.

But there are ways to make a point well and ways to make it badly. Lecturing somebody about his English while making no attempt to answer his original question seems to me to be the latter. I propose a policy: if you (we) have to jump on somebody's mode of expression (and let's face it, there are times when it's necessary, as when said mode is grossly offensive or utterly incomprehensible), then *don't do it without also making a sincere attempt to address the original question*. Seems only polite to me.

As for being an "a-hole", well, I wouldn't have said that myself (Oscar the Grouch comes more to mind, actually), but regarding that term, consider that people often develop ways of tuning a-holes out. Non-a-holes may stand a better chance of having what they say listened to in a setting like this, where no one is compelled to listen at all (unlike the Catholic schools of my boyhood). IOW, how about lightening up the style, bro?;)

13. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Hey lewi:

Dont worry about turning your amp up. If it is rated at 400 watts through 4 ohms and you are plugged into a 300 watt 8 ohm cab your more than safe. This is because the amp will put out less than 400 watts into 8 ohms. Check the amp specs to find out what it puts out through 8 ohms. In the case of connecting the two cabs to the amp (2 8 ohm speakers in parallel will equal a 4 ohm load) them your amp will be putting out 400 watts total into both cabs which Im sure they can handle.

14. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    you just love to push peoples bad grammar button dont you. just noticed and thought id say it out load this time(but its good to know im not the only one your after:rolleyes: )

15. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    and im still trying to learn what your talking about. guess its like geometry..... just cant get a hold on it(good thing its over)

16. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    stuie:

the formula for speakers connected in parallel is easy to learn. 1/(1/speaker1 + 1/speaker2)

heres an example: two 8 ohm cabs in parallel

take 1/8 + 1/8 = 1/4

now take that result and divide it by 1:

1/(1/4) = 4!

sorry if you didnt want a math lesson but im glad its over for me too!

now get off the pc and go practice!:bassist: :D

17. Thanks for the people who actully did help me.And not tell me how crap i am at english.I did not realy understand the 4ohm 8 ohm stuff but now i do soo thanks again for the people who did help me.

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I see your point, and in the future, I will either conform to your proposal or not respond.

That said, as an engineer and scientist,it is critical that I communicate my ideas and recommendations in the clearest possible way. My firm employs many professionals in very technical fields, and some come to us out of college barely able to write a coherent sentence. Most of those folks don't get hired in the first place, but the ones who do have a lot of training ahead of them at the company's expense. It's much easier to train them in the technical aspects of the field than it is to train them to write. The sooner one recognizes the importance of proper writing skills, the bigger the advantage that person will have over the majority of his or her peers.

Finally, when one uses the excuse of "not having the time" to punctuate, I consider that rude to the reader. Another way of putting it is, "I'm too busy to make this readable, so you're going to have to waste your time trying to figure out what I'm trying to say so you can help me with my problem." Rude, rude, rude.

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    And thank you to you for making this message readable.

20. Gotta agree with Munji, for the most part....I'm an engineer also, and clear communication is vital, though I do recognize that some people may not have yet achieved good writing skills.

Having said that, I'm glad someone did answer his question.

Would like to know someone's opinion of the Profet, there was a used one available here cheap for a long time, and I was tempted to give it a listen.