1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will this neck replacement work? Please help!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ledyard, Sep 15, 2010.

1. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I have this ESP I have been trying to sell cause the P nut width it killing my thumb muscle. I would love to keep the bass though because it sounds awsome.
    Being the type of neck that it is, I was just assuming I couldnt get a replacement for it.
    Assuming the neck pocket itself is the correct measurment, will this work?? I'm obviously concerned with not being able to intonate it if there are different measurments to the frets, ect...
    I will post my ESP first:

0311001647.jpg

And now the pic I saved from the Warmoth website. This is there 21 fret replacement neck:

fretboard_2.jpg

Lastly, It will be this weekend before I get to take it off and measure, but does anyone know if this fender pocket will be a direct bolt on for a early 90's ESP? I would love to Just change the neck and keep this bass.

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Yes

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    If the pocket and block match, it should be fine with maybe minor intonation adjustments. You may also have to shim the block if it's not tall enough, but this is no big deal either with a small piece of veneer.

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Assertions made on the internet carry no guarantee.

5. It might fit. It will sound different. And why is your thumb muscle killing you? Sounds like you may have a technique issue, honestly.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've narrowed and re-profiled several P width necks to the original J width of 1-7/16" at the nut.

Maybe that's an option for you?

7. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    It has nothing to do with technique. I am also an avid body builder. No not some hobbyist guy who goes to the gym and thinks he lifts like 98% of people mind you. (6'0 , 270 if that says anything) .
    I have been having issues with my left forearm. I have a strain in my forearm/elbow joint from doing very heavy rows and it makes my forearm fatigue easier when I play with the wider nut. The fatigued forearm also travels down and makes the thumb muscle cramp up. The thumb muscle can also be sore from gripping during really heavy deadlifts. Its been on and off for years. Nothing to do with my technique. J necks are more comfortable for me period.
    I am also out of the gym with rotator cuff tendonitis right now so the rotator makes the elbow have issues, which makes the hand have issues, ect ect. It all works together.

It doesnt bother me if it sounds different. I would rather have another playable bass hanging around.

8. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    thanks for the help guys. My biggest concern was making sure I didnt mess with scale length. Now that I know that wont be an issue I have to take it off and measure the pocket.

9. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I actually didnt know that was an option. But I would just as soon keep the stock neck stock. So that if I sold it down the road I can keep the "fender" neck and use it elsewhere on another body.

10. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Well, I don't always agree with dmusic, but it sure sounds like a technique issue to me as well. I can't imagine how the width of a neck would impact my thumb positioning. So you're experiencing muscle pain that travels down your arm to your thumb that is caused by your left hand fingers needing to reach a further distance from your palm? I'm not challenging you, I'm trying to understand the associated range of motion issue...

11. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    It is not a thumb position issue! I use my thumb over the top of the neck and on the back of the neck. Depending on what i'm playing. When I have to stretch 4 frets or so on certain songs consistantly my thumb muscle on my palm gets tired from squeezing. Its a squeezing issue. Not a neck thickness issue. The bass in question here does have a 1.65" nut but its really thin. Not like a fender P neck thats thick at the nut.
    It is not a forearm pain traveling down to my thumb. Yes, I said that. But its alot more complicated than just that statement. It is a matter of the shoulder having issues which makes the elbow have issues which makes the hand have issues. They arent all the same issues.
    I have been playing for 22 years. There is no technique issue. At times when I take 4, 6, 8 mos away from bodybuilding and I dont abuse my body I also dont have issues while playing. It was during a 6 month break that I bought my first P bass back in january or so then also aquired this bass. That break ended in july.
    J necks have always been more comfortable for me. Hence why I bought a MM sterling instead of a stingray, and J's instead of P's. Ric's, ect. Same reason why when I play guitar I play gibson guitars not those thin flat super wide Ibanez shredder neck guitars. Its a preference. Not a technique issue.

12. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    Have you had the action sorted out....My BTB was a great player, but I also got some cramps in my thumb. After spending half a day sorting the action (which wasn't bad to start with) I have not had an issue. The action suits me a lot better now. I also put on some lighter guage strings. My main player now is a 2010 Rockbass $$, which has a narrow string spacing whereas the BTB is wide. I have no issue switching between the two now, before it was a marked difference.

13. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    75% of the time I dont look at the neck when i play. So if i jump from narrow to wide string spacing it screws me up. Mostly I'll miss a string or something with my fingers on my right hand.
    Lighter gauge strings arent an option because it has to be Eb and 100's wont work tuned a half step down. It wouldnt matter anyways even with lighter strings.

14. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Well, no offense, but 22 years or not, thumb up top and pressure against your thumbtip/pad instead of the heel of your thumb - that's a technique issue. . As you age, it will likely continue. Choose the necks that you like best and minimize the issue for sure, but more time spent on technique will probably get you better results than dealing with the tool.

This reminds me of a fellow I used to work with back when I was carpenterizing. He'd used a 22oz Estwing hammer for 15 years, holding it at the end of the handle and swinging for maximum force. Eventually he started to develop carpal tunnel syndrome. His physiotherapist told him to use a lighter hammer, so he did. But the technique was the same, he just had to strike the nails more to get them in. An old dawg we worked with told him to choke up on the handle a bit and swing with his arm, not his wrist and to let the hammer "float" during the blows. The guy had a hard time with this new technique and it seriously slowed down his game. But after he got used to it, he was able to work pain free with less effort.

I'm not criticising, belittling or bashing you in any way, I feel for you with nerve/muscle pain, I've dealt with his for years myself as well, I'm just trying to help here. IMHO, just because something has worked for you for many years does not mean it can't be improved...

15. so, working out too much made it so that you can't use your muscles as much or play as long as a 5'10 150lb guy?

16. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Umm.....no. :rolleyes: injuries and things like tendonitis cause issues now and then. I played my jazz last night for an hour set and had no issues. But maybe thats cause I copped out and played a jazz neck that was more comfortable? :smug:

17. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    So again, thank you luthiers for answering my initial question. Can we lock this thread now mods? Its gotten a little ridiculous and off point.

18. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    I can completely sympathize. I have a similar issue, except that I need my neck chunkier. A thinner neck makes my hand hurt, my thumb goes numb after a while, and I get to the point that after a while of playing on too-shin a neck for my hand, I won't even be able to hold a coffee cup with that hand.

Some people's hands are just better suited to certain neck shapes/dimensions. Otherwise, why would places like Warmoth offer so many neck profile options?

19. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    this is what happens to me when I try to play one of those awful steve vai type ibanez shred guitars with the super wide super thin/flat neck. Hand cramp city. The thinner neck helps with a P nut width bass though. But the width does the same thing to me that the thin-ness does to you. Simple as that.
    If i get into a P nut width and a thick neck like a USA P bass, forget it.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021