1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will this rig give me tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by capnjim, Mar 17, 2008.

1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Tone??? Whats that? I just wanna be heard!!
    I play in three bands and don't want a 4x10 cab and head.
    I just switched from guitar to bass and don't have a good bass amp..yet... I have a 900$ budget (Sold a '62 blonde bassman on eBay to buy a bass amp, Am I dedicated or what???)

I checked out all the new light stuff and was not overly impressed.
    I have found, what i think could be a decent rig. I play in garage and basement bands, rock, funk, reggae..so i need something I can take home after every jam...sorry, Markbass or the new GK lite stuff just does not do it for me.
    I don't want to shake the room, I just want to be clean and clear over a loud drummer and an insane guitar player in a small garage.
    So here are my two choices (Please don't add any more or i may have to beat myself in the head with my Mustang bass) Its gonna be one of these two....
    BTW, I play a stock Mustang bass as i need a short scale because i chopped off my left index finger 5 yrs ago..(feel free to email me for graphic pics!!) Its possible I may be one of the finest three finger bass players posting on this forum tonite!

1. Yorkville XS400 watt 2x10 combo (Tube pre-amp, 250 watts as-is, 400 with an extra speaker) 570$
    2. Euphonic audio Iamp500 with a Bag End s-15xd cab 900$

I have found nothing local (Montreal, canada) but these 2 are in Toronto and shipping is not a problem and is included in my prices.
    Long post...sorry, but I am really going nuts over this!!
    Thanks

2. SWR Workingman series. More of a "on a budget" line of amps and combo rigs, but great quality and tone for the money.

3. check out avatar cabs if you are on a budget but want power and quality

4. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    Would you prefer a combo or the head + cabs approach?

I've owned Yorkville stuff in the past and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. Very underrated gear IMO. I also currently run through 2 Bag End 15's.... Again, wonderful stuff.

I don't think you can go wrong with either setup.

Oh- host those pictures and then post a link. Gotta see the gore.

5. manutabora

manutabora

Aug 14, 2007
    Iowa City, IA
    Depending on how loud your situation is, it may even turn out that neither one of those setups is loud enough, but I would go with the iamp-bag end, I think you could over time expand it more than if you go with the combo. Just my $0.02, hope it helps.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Look at the price difference. Big difference.

I'd go with the Yorkville. It'll be louder and sound very good. I've used the Iamp. It's a good amp as is the BagEnd cabinet. But for the money the Yorkville will be the big winner. You can easily get it repaired, not that you're likely to need it. There are lots of them available. I guess they're harder to get in Montreal because there's is no L&M store there.

Read the threads here on Yorkville. They have a very loyal following. If I needed that amount of power these days and didn't mind the weight I'd buy one again.

For the difference in price between your two choices you could get an extension cabinet for the Yorkville and be too loud anytime you need to. The single BagEnd cabinet sounds good but won't handle as much bass boost. You may wish you had more in bigger rooms.

7. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Get the traynor, add a 2x10 or 15 extension cab if it's not loud enough.

8. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    LOL! You don't like the light stuff and you list a 14 lb mini-amp as one of your choices? :D

I would go with the Yorky, too. The price is right, and it's plenty for what you're doing, plus it's pretty good reliable stuff. It's not the best amp in the world, but it may be the best amp in the world for the money.

9. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006

well..markbass and gk are both very clean and clear sounding.

i cant immagine a 2x10 combo being very loud at 250w, and a 15 takes alot of power to be heard clearly, and at that point it would be very woofey and boomy, and not very crisp.

since you dont want other suggestions..i guess the iamp and bagend is better?

but IMO you already eliminated your best options

10. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    I know you said you don't like the "light stuff", but I thought i would throw this in anyway ... I might know someone in the Ottawa area looking to sell his Markbass LMII and an Epifani UL-310 S2 for a decent price. You will defiantly have good tone (depending of course on what kind of tone you are looking for and what kind of signal you are feeding the amp) and more than enough power to keep up with your band mates. PM me if you are interested.

11. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Hey fretless..I already offered that guy 1000$ for his rig, he want's 1300 which is just a bit out of my price range.
    I'm leaning towards the Yorkville as well.