Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

will this setup work? please comment

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aaguudis, Apr 3, 2001.

1. aaguudis

aaguudis

Apr 3, 2001
    Portland
    i need a new amp. the things i want in it are:

loudness : i play in smaller/medium venues (not church gigs but not stadiums) and dont wanna have to buy a new amp until i'm a huge rock star

quality : of course i want something dependable

variety of sounds: i play jazz, funk,hip-hop but i need some real low-end cause i also play much reggae/dub

my budget is somewhere around 1300$

from reading on here it seems like maybe a setup such as : SWR bass 350 with a 4x10 and then later on add a 1x15
    would work

please give me reccommendations or comments or any advice that would help.

thank you

also maybe talk about ohms and watts and all that stuff that im trying to understand.

2. I just bought a SWR bass 350 and I am kinda new to the ohms thing but heres how it works with the bass 350.

it is 350 watts @ 4 ohms

this means you can add one 4 ohm cab (that can handle the head of course) and operate at 4 ohms 350 watts.

if you add one 8 ohm cab you are operating at 220 watts @ 8 ohms

if you add two 8 ohm cabs this cuts the impedance in half and makes it operating at 4 ohms
    so you get 350 watts @ 4 ohms

the minimum impedence of this head is 2 ohms
    if you add two 4 ohm cabs and it is cut in half so you are operating at 2 ohms.
    So the head would be rated at 400 watts @ 2 ohms

operating at 2 ohms will produce more heat and possibly be harder on your head.

so be careful when buying heads it can say how many watts it is, but keep in mind at how many ohms. this makes a big difference.

if a head says 500 watts at 2 ohms but the minimun impedence is 8 ohms you will never get even close to the 500 watts.

you have $1300 canadian or american cause that makes a huge difference :)

3. aaguudis

aaguudis

Apr 3, 2001
    Portland
    $1300 real money (american) hah

thanks for your reply

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
  5. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

what kind of music do you play! get a amp that you can feel and sounds good to you. i use swr with 10s but thats the sound i want. as far as power i also have a svt2 but i never had to use all its power. cover the drums and let the sound system do the rest. 1300 you can get a great amp for your needs. but try them with your bass and style first. what is great to me might suck to you.but dont buy power over sound!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

7. He said, buddy :)

8. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    For sound flexibility I don't think you can beat any Eden amp. Look into the WT-400 & WT-500, they have the great EQ and power to spare (especially the WT-500, which I think is bi-ampable, I don't think the WT-400 is but I may be wrong.)

But that's me, get what you want.