1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will This Setup Work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Luke19Boarder, Dec 12, 2003.

1. For the past couple years I have been playing through a Peavey TNT115 amp. Yesterday I was looking around downstairs (where my parents like to hide my x-mas presents) and I found a Hartke 4x10 300watt cab. I am super excited, cuz my band's first gig is on new year's eve, so I'll get to use it then. So, my wuestion is this: Will my setup work - can I power the 300watt cab with the amp I have now? I am assuming it will work, but will it work well? Thanks.

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    depends on the impedance (ohms) of your cab and amp.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not when your parents disown you.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yes, it will work. You can run the 15, along with the 410 at one time. That will give you 200 watts of power total if the Hartke cab is rated at 4ohms. If it is rated at 8, then you will have less power than that.

The only 4ohm 410 I am aware of from Hartke is the 4200. All the rest, including the Transporter which is rated for 300 watts. are 8ohm.

Will it work well? No. You'll need to start shopping for a new amp now.

-Mike

5. This sucks. So my parents go out for the evening, and I brought the cab upstairs to try it out real fast. I plug it in and turn on my amp. Nothing. Check volumes, switch cords, try high and low output -- nothing. Am I doing something wrong? There is a high output jack on the front of the amp (i know it works because I use it to go to my computer when recording) ... so i connect the cable from there to the back of the cab (which i was incorrect, it is only 200watts and 8ohms i believe). No sound. darnit. anything I can try (although I might not get another chance before christmas).

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    does the speaker in the combo work when you plug in the Hartke? or is it no sound from any speaker?

maybe mom and dad disabled it until christmas? hehehe, just kidding on that one. :)

-Mike

7. There is sound coming out of the combo speaker ... just not the cab's speakers. Sometimes when i pluged it in kinda slowly, i could here it through the speakers in the hartke ... but only once or twice, but it still didnt work.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    how old is the Peavey? You may have a loose connection inside. Sounds kind of obvious I suppose, but that is all I can think of.

-Mike

9. Sounds to me like you're plugging a line out directly into your cab, which means it's just a line level signal and not something you could use to power the cab.

You should look for a speaker out jack on the amp section of the Peavey, and make sure to use a speaker cable whenever you're trying to run a signal into the cab, not just a 1/4" instrument cable.

10. hey luke19boarder ..... the main reason you're not getting any sound is because that output that you are using is the post crossover high output ..... this means that this output is a very low voltage output (1V RMS) and is meant to drive a 1kohm load (not 8ohm) ..... the "HIGH" part of the output name refers to high frequencies for biamping purposes ..... there's enough umph to the signal to trigger the input to your computer and be amplified so you can hear it

there's no where NEAR enough umph to push those 8ohm speakers so that is why you heard nothing

unfortunately, i took a look online at the back of your combo unit and i noticed that there is no speaker output jack so there's nowhere to plug it into the back

also unfortunately, your combo puts out 150 watts into a 4 ohm load and you mentioned that your new and shiny cabinet is 8 ohms ..... this will mean that you will cut the power in half by plugging it directly to your amp head somehow (i.e. 75 watts into 8 ohms OR 150 watts into 4 ohms OR 300 watts into 2 ohms)

you could biamp with another amplifier (fed from the HIGH and/or LOW outputs near the crossover knob) that will push 200W into 8 ohms

really man ..... you need to either:

a) get a shiny new amp head and use the peavey for practicing
    b) biamp that puppy
    c) get the wires that are inside your peavey cabinet connected to your 15", cut them at the speaker, get those wires to the outside somehow and solder on a 1/4" phone jack and then cable that to your shiny new cabinet at 1/2 power

sorry man ..... hate to be the bearer of not-so-glad-but-hopefully-understandable tidings :(

be kewl
    wabbs

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    It may not be such bad news after all......maybe mom and dad have a shiny new amp hiding somewhere else in the house, and the cab was placed somewhere relatively easy to find on purpose??

It seemed obvious to me that the TNT could not power that cab. But why does it have external speaker jacks on it? So you can plug in your computer speakers? :)

-Mike

12. If your Peavey amp had a speaker ouput jack, it will work. Per post above (thanks for checking, wabbit :) ), it doesn’t.

I believe the jack that you are trying to power the speaker with, is a line level output (designed to provide signal to recording equipment or mixing console inputs or another amplifier’s input.)

It is not a power amplifier output, which is required to run an external unpowered speaker cabinet.

13. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Ok, according to the Peavey website, there should be an external speaker output on the back of your amp. Plug your cab into this. I own a Peavey TKO115 (just like the TNT, but not as loud) and i have been using a Peavey 4x10 cab along with my amp for quite a while. On my TKO the external speaker must be 8 ohms. Im sure if my amp (lower down in the Peavey range) has nother speaker output, your must too.

Hope this has helped

matt