1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will this shimmed nut give me any problems?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MicG, Aug 12, 2012.

1. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    So I had this new Tusq nut made for standard B tuning on my 4 string. All was well but I decided to have it changed back to standard E. The guy recommended that I just have the nut shimmed rather than replace the whole thing. So now the strings rest deeper inside the nut, but the nut is adjusted for proper action...I think?

I'm just looking for a second or third opinion on the job he did as I've never had this done before. Take a look:

SANY0021.
    SANY0022.

Any comments on the job or this decision?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Sorry to say this, but that looks awful both cosmetically and functionally. Some of the slots look sky-high...maybe it's the camera angle but I doubt it. What's the string / 1st fret gap when fretted at the 3rd? Also, what's the white residue adjacent to the slots in pic #1?

I don't think a shim will help...well, not yet anyway.

Riis

3. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    The string/ 1st fret gap fretted at the 3rd as measured with a feeler gauge is about .008" -what should it be?

The white residue is from filing the nut I presume?

Just for clarity, I received the bass back and was told the nut was shimmed and set up again for standard E tuning.

What would remedy this situation then if the nut is funky? Lemme guess...new nut

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    y'know, functionally it looks fine to me; as long as the spacing is right, the height over the first fret is good and close, and the actual bottom of the slots are the proper shape and width, then the height of the stuff in between the strings is irrelevant.

judging by the angles of the strings behind the nut, it may not have even needed to be shimmed and re-cut for the skinnier strings in the first place. as long as they didn't rattle in the slots, you'd be good to go.

5. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    ya know, after trying again, I can get a .003" in there..

6. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    Yea that was my main concern I guess; would slots that are bigger than the strings that fit inside them be problematic as long as the depth and cut at the bottom of the nut were properly done?

I have no rattling or buzzing out of the ordinary

7. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    If it stays in tune, does not rattle, or have excessive dead spots then I guess you are A-OK. Visually looks like all strings are too low and slots are too wide. But ultimately cosmetics have nothing to do with play-ability.
    Does it Play/feel right?

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    .003-.005 is within spec. Is that consistent string-to-string? If so and walterw's "ifs" are in compliance, you're good to go. That white residue or artifact still bothers me. It almost appears as if the slots were filled and re-cut.

Riis

9. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    hmm; even that could be OK, since the result would still have the string resting on virgin nut material at the bottom of the slot.

for situations where you didn't want to even pop the nut out for shimming, you could just do that, basically narrowing the sides of the slot with added material while leaving the critical contact patch at the bottom "legit".

10. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    You paid for this lousy work?

11. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Garden City, Michigan
    yes :scowl: I did. So it sounds like although its not the best looking job in the world, its functional- still I should have a "proper" nut installed :crying: more money...

12. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    jeez, take it easy! :p

unless he paid the going rate for a fresh new bone nut, this is fine.

13. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Guess you didn't read he had it cut for BEAD. Helps when you actually understand what has occurred. Now he wants EADG, wonders if the extra space in the slots are a problem. There now that's cleared up, feel free to add an informed opinion.