Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will this signal chain work (Presonus tubepre question)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vicenzajay, Jun 17, 2005.

1. All,

Also threw this thread in the effects forum (and yes, I did a search).

What I want to do is run the bass into the Boss ME-50B - then to the Presonus Tubepre - then to the Peavey Nitrobass.

Our sound guy wants to take the PA feed right off the Tubepre, and we obviously want the effects, compression, limiter, etc. that I use throughout the show using the ME-50B to show up in the PA sound as well.

I know that the instrument input on the tubepre can take the active preamps I have with the G&L L2000 and the Dean Edge Fretless without any issues (in fact, the -20db pad does nothing really to the sound)...in testing all my tubes, I've driven the drive control past halfway and the gain past halfway running the bass fairly hot - so far not even one clip light on the Tubepre.

Can anyone shed light on this...I just don't want to fry the Tubepre with the output line from the Boss multi-effects.

Thanks,
    Jay

2. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    The -20db pad affects only the balanced input.
    The clip light will come on but only after the meter is pegged.
    So if you can run your setup without the meter being pegged then you will be fine. Lots of tube harmonics are generated by 0 dB on the meter.