1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will this start a fire?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GROOVEjunkie, Oct 22, 2006.

1. So I built this Frankenamp the other night. I made it using an old 2x15 Peavey cab and and replaced the top 15" with a 2x10 + horn from another amp (ie, combo). I did this sort of out of bordem, but also because I wanted a 1 piece amp that has all I want (on casters) that I could beat up and not care (this original cab was given to me and it's pretty scratched up on the sides).

My question is this:
    I'm thinking about attaching a black power strip (via screws)onto the back of my "creation" so that I can then attach the 3 chords from my head (ie, power amp, preamp and tuner) that are separate in a Gator case into the attached power strip. This way I'll only have to search out 1 outlet at shows/jams. Aside from maybe getting the power strip snagged when transporting in and out of my car I don't see a down side to this addition to my Frankenamp...unless I make fire and FIRE BAD!!!

Any thoughts?

P.S. I plan on purchasing a "heavy duty" power strip from Home Depot.

2. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    Is there no room to attach the power strip inside the gator case? It would be much better to have your three power cords permanently attached.

3. No, unfortunately space is at a premium in the Gator (I try to be very careful packing the chords away in it when not in use). As with most power chords they can pull out of their slots pretty easy so I was thinking that, with the power strip attached on the cabinet, they won't have to be pulled that far and thus not pull out so easy (at least in theory).

I like the idea of maybe recessing the power strip into the cab to reduce the chance of it getting snagged when moving, but a Skil-Saw God, I am not. Plus I don't think extra holes in the cab is a good thing.

I really don't think it should get too hot, but I do want some feedback from TBers who may have some other ideas on how to overcome the 3 plug problem (without FIRE!!!). :eek:

4. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    Strange that you have no space. Tuners are usually super shallow such that you could attach a power strip to the inside top of the rack behind your tuner.

Oh well, maybe someone will have an idea for you.

5. Well, let me rethink. The tuner is mounted between the the Preamp (top) and Poweramp (bottom) in the Gator. Are you suggesting, then, to reposition to tuner to be on top (or bottom)?

If you've attached the power strip inside your case, how exactly did you attach it to the plastic? Doesn't it heat up (a little due to reduced air flow) as well as clutter up the space a bit?

I'm just asking. Thanks I appreciate your help.

6. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've never had a power strip get that hot. Wall warts can get pretty hot, but they contain transformers. A power strip is pretty much just some wires in a box, not likely to get hot or catch fire unless the wires become damaged somehow. If you can't fit the strip into the body of the case, how about bolting it to the inside of the lid? That way it is protected from transit damage but not blocking the airflow of your rig when the lid is off.

7. I'll take a look at how much room there'd be if I reposition things in the Gator, but how exactly did you attach the power strip to the plastic gator case?

8. K2000

K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    Brooklyn
    What about using velcro, either on the cab, or inside the rack case?

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I attach power strips to plastic rack cases with self-tapping screws driven through the outside of the case, being sure of not having the screws come close to anything inside the strip. You must be sure the power strip has a 14 or 12 gauge cord. You also should replace the long cords on your components with short ones so there isn't a huge pile of wire floating around in your case.

10. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Instead of an actual power strip, you can get a heavy duty 12 or 25' foot extension cord (from the Depot) that ends in a 3-way female end. That way, you can wrap up the cord and stow it in your gator case with all the gear still plugged into it. I've been doing this for years. Even though fires are cool for stage shows...I've never had a problem with anything heating up! And this way, you don't have to mount anything to your cabinet.

You are definately on the right track with cosolidating all your cords into one power cable. Clubs rarely have enough power outlets for a full band to play (what are they thinking!?!?)

11. I used to carry a 30' mediuim duty extension cord on a reel w/ 4 outlets and a circuit breaker. but I have recently upgraded to a 50' heavy duty reel (12 g). I usually only use 2 of the outlets, and i like being able to reposition my power where I want it. i can grab an outlet from anywhere w/ the 50 footer.

12. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    In other words, drill a couple of holes and apply a couple of nuts and bolts. Most power strips have screw-mount holes in the base. If yours doesn't, you can drill four holes in the lid and attach the strip with zip ties.

13. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    If a power strip heats at all, you have serious problems - they should run dead COLD if not pushed beyond their limits . . . .

- Tim

14. Ah, zip ties...love 'em (next to "twisty ties" from garbage bags) they have so many uses - now 1 more!! :)

Thanks for all the suggestions in addition to this one especially the shortened chords in the Gator, the velcro, and the 3 into 1 extension chord.

BTW, I never really thought "Will this catch fire?" but I figured I'd get more attention :bag:

15. :D Alright.. this is the end result:

I settled on a 15ft, 3-to-1 plug (attached using 4 zip ties to the inside top left of my Gator case - I drilled 4 sets of holes just big enough for the ties). You can barely notice the ties from the top view since I made sure to feed them through the inside of the case, out, then back in again (you don't want that square piece from the tie sticking out, ya know.)

Finally I have 1 plug to connect tuner, power, and preamps!!! And it tucks away real nice into the Gator case when done.

Ahh...the easy life.:cool:

One thing I might have changed though:

I bought a BLACK 3-to-1 extension cord from Home Depot because I thought the black color would look better. It does LOOK professional, but I think a brighter color, like ORANGE or NEON YELLOW (also sold at Home Depot), would probably be the smarter choice. Not as asthetically appealing, but the brighter colors would surely make it a heck of a lot easier to see the wire when playing in darker environments.

Next I think I'm going to install metal rails to the back of the cab to make it easier to move (ie, slide) up and down stairs. Or get some large wheels attached to one side that I can fold out and tilt the heavy sucker up and down with. hmmm

Anyway...thanks for all the suggestions.

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Exactly what I've been doing over the years.