1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will this top separation hold for a while?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by josiah goldfish, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Hi guys,
    My double bass has developed a slight opening under the tailpiece in the top. It's not very open (I can't move it at all with my hands) but there's a very slight white-ish line running about 5 inches. I'm happy to repair it and I know how, but I'm playing for my mum's birthday on the 3rd and I can't guarantee that I'd finish it by then. Do you think it'll hold ok until then? If the top does start to split further then I'll take off the strings and fix it, I'm not even sure it hasn't always been there to be completely honest.

Thanks in advance,
    Joe
    PS I can't get pics now but might be able to tomorrow?

2. Solved it. I drilled three tiny holes and pulled the cleat to the top of the bass on a guitar string (the cleat was covered in hide glue). Then, I pulled it tight and tied it to the endpin with some duct tape. All the cleats have got a solid glue joint to the top (I checked with an inspection mirror) and the bass is fine.

In the future I'll remove the top and do some more repairs. The top will be fine until then :)

3. Does this crack originate from the tailpiece saddle? If so, it might be that the saddle is to wide and it's expansion is what caused the crack. If that's the case, you'll want to remedy that as well.

4. Did you get glue INTO the crack?

5. Yep, of course, along with three cleats.

I'll check the saddle. Do I just heat and knock it off to sand the edges down or some other method?

Joe.